Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Land in Doreen, Melbourne?

Page 1 of 8
Hi everyone,
Not a home question yet, looking for advice on land to build a new home!
We are looking to buy a block in the Doreen area, outer Melbourne. Our problem is not that we can't find any, but there is such a big choice! Vantage Point, Vaucluse, Laurimar, Mitchels Run,Eminence, The Ridge - land,land, land! We don't personally know anyone who has bought out there so just wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience/recommendations. We know that Laurimar has a planned school and shops - and all the estates are about the same distance away from these services.
Thanks in advance for any help & advice you may have.
This is from my co-worker who just built around there about the value of land around there, dont know if it helps hope so!!

Mitchells Run is the best at the moment. The average land value is around $250,000.

Vaucluse is around the $200k but will increase once the private school is built
Ooh, that is interesting. I knew of proposed state primary in Laurimar, where is new private school going to be?
tilly
Ooh, that is interesting. I knew of proposed state primary in Laurimar, where is new private school going to be?

From my co-worker!

The new catholic school is between Plenty Valley Christian School and Ivanhoe Grammar. Its basically on the corner of the Promenade Estate (Orchard Road).
Personally I prefer the "rules" of Laurimar (although they seem to be getting pretty lax with them)
We bought a block in Laurimar and love the estate. The rules are a bit stricter than mitchells run but I think for the better.

Also the primary school at Laurimar isn't proposed it is currently in construction.. will be open for term 1 2009!!

Town centre should be complete by middle to end of next year and I would like to hope that by this time Laurimar would have the highest property value in the doreen/mernda area due to all the facilities that no other estate in the valley would have.
Thanks 4 your help so far.
Really - a school by 2009? We were out there just a few weeks ago, and nothing much seemed to be progressing ( but gr8 if it is!) I find Laurimar's website to be fairly unhelpful!
Have heard though that covenants in the later stages are much more lax since D**fin took over. Gotta love Hilltop park though!
tilly
Thanks 4 your help so far.
Really - a school by 2009? We were out there just a few weeks ago, and nothing much seemed to be progressing ( but gr8 if it is!) I find Laurimar's website to be fairly unhelpful!
Have heard though that covenants in the later stages are much more lax since D**fin took over. Gotta love Hilltop park though!

I have been out there nearly every weekend.. if you were there 3 weeks ago you should have seen the school, it is currently at frame stage. And the safeway complex just south of the school has the concrete walls up, you can't miss it!. Are you sure you were at laurimar?

Yes the website doesn't have much info but go to the sales centre and there is alot more information there. We are building in Harrisons View stage 1.
The way safeway is going, maybe it will be open by the end of the year...
Ari
The way safeway is going, maybe it will be open by the end of the year...

yes it is going up quickly.. the sales centre have told me it is due for completion by June next year and the bridge to plenty rd at around the same time.
We're building in Laurimar and as far as we know laurimar and mitchells run is probably the best two estates in Doreen. Laurimar will have the shopping centre and state school that will open next year.

I know there is going to be a new catholic school opening but that will be in Mernda I think, off Plenty road. I don't know about a catholic school opening in Doreen. I wish there was one in Doreen if you have any further details woodsey about this catholic school I'd really appreciate it if you could post more details about it, that would be great.

Anyway I think that Laurimar is probably one of the best, so hope this helps!!
fabeanna
:D We're building in Laurimar and as far as we know laurimar and mitchells run is probably the best two estates in Doreen. Laurimar will have the shopping centre and state school that will open next year.

I know there is going to be a new catholic school opening but that will be in Mernda I think, off Plenty road. I don't know about a catholic school opening in Doreen. I wish there was one in Doreen if you have any further details woodsey about this catholic school I'd really appreciate it if you could post more details about it, that would be great.

Anyway I think that Laurimar is probably one of the best, so hope this helps!!

l'll ask the guy at work tomorrow what he knows, he lives in that estate where apparently its suppose to be! Hopefully his told me right, sorry if he hasnt!

l'll find out more and let you all know for sure!
woodsey
The new catholic school is between Plenty Valley Christian School and Ivanhoe Grammar. Its basically on the corner of the Promenade Estate (Orchard Road).

I saw that on a master plan as well, not sure when its going to open though.
Ari
Personally I prefer the "rules" of Laurimar (although they seem to be getting pretty lax with them)

The rules in Mitchells Run are now stricter than Laurimar's which have been relaxed a lot since Delphin taking over.

Mitchells run has continued throughout the estate mainaining lare lot sizes. The current stage for sale (Stage 10) will be one of the best areas in Doreen with the amount of parkland and large lots.

I have recently bought in Mitchells Run and am very happy with my decision. I live oopposite about 10 acres of park, with the Laurimar town centre only about 1 km away.
Perhaps I should change that to "I prefer the rules in the stage we bought in Laurimar". Although I wish we didn't need to have rural fencing
woodsey
tilly

From my co-worker!

You can see it marked on the melways plan below

http://www.street-directory.com.au/aust_new/index.cgi?CountryName=vic&x=145.13034787&y=-37.61222178&level=5&star=1&heading=ORCHARD_20ROAD,_20DOREEN,_20VIC

There is also a planned Primary School at the bottom of the Promenade and also a proposed Primary and Secondayr School on Painted Hills Road just south of Mitchells Run.
Ari
Perhaps I should change that to "I prefer the rules in the stage we bought in Laurimar". Although I wish we didn't need to have rural fencing

Ahhh, so you have a big block...

The original Laurimar is still very nice. I just find the newer parts too Delphiny for my liking.
I think its ???? Backs on to the horse paddock next to Laurimar Hill.

I understand what you mean though...especially since they enlarged all the waterways. Dont mention Caroline Springs to people who already live there though

At least it still doesn't have all the double storey box houses (yet)
Laurimar Hill is the best area in Doreen. All above 2000m2, some of the blocks have city views and the paddock behind the blocks will not be developed. If I could afford it, I would try to buy there.

Hate the box double storeys, hence why I love Mitchells Run, I know there won't be a double story built next to me.
Cleishy
Hate the box double storeys, hence why I love Mitchells Run, I know there won't be a double story built next to me.

You can't build box double storeys in laurimar. The convenants don't allow it. There has to be set back on the upper level.

I think Delfin taking over was a major positive for Laurimar. As it sat idle for a long time and now it is going along very quickly with the town centre and school.
Related
2/01/2024
Land buyer's agent Melbourne

Buying Land

Not much in this responce. My suggestion is, what are you looking to build and why. This will all be impacted by the local councils planning scheme. Familiarise yourself…

25/02/2024
Slope land builders Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi All, We have recently purchased a sloping block (3.5m fall building envelope, 6m overall). Just wondering if you know of any good builders that you would recommend for…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations - Melbourne

Building A New House

I do enjoy the drama:-D In his latest two videos he has started bringing security guards to site, I am waiting for the punch on to begin lol

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum