Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Styrofoam showing through foundation slab, how bad is this?

Page 1 of 1
My house is nearing completion, and I've just noticed this area of the slab where styrofoam is showing through.

How big of an issue is this? Or is it an issue at all? (Really hoping it's no big deal as this build has already had so many delays)

u/105249_1648340189.jpg

Edit: contacted the builder who reckons its a bit of "boxing". Not sure what that means though?
Styrofoam when left open to the weather and sun deteriorates very quickly...

BTW your link is too long... this is it. u/105249_1648340189.jpg
Yeah it looks like a waffle slab. It needs to be rectified ASAP and ask the builder to ensure that the soil around the perimeter of the house are graded away from the house.

If not, it could cause slab heave.
Oakland Projects
Yeah it looks like a waffle slab. It needs to be rectified ASAP and ask the builder to ensure that the soil around the perimeter of the house are graded away from the house.

If not, it could cause slab heave.

Builder reckons its "just a bit of boxing", I'm not sure what that means though
this shouldn't happen. The boxing is a Styrofoam waffle pod used to form the "waffle" pattern of the slab under the main part. There should be something like a 85-100mm thickness of concrete between the outside and the pods. Probably more here as its the rebate that the bricks are laid on. Kind of concerning. begs the question of how sound the rest of the slab is.
Related
5/04/2024
water seeping through from under slab into post hole

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice. So far i have not noticed any issues with doors and windows. Builder advised they will organise drainers to inspect 2 weeks ago but no further…

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

24/10/2023
Really really bad window installation

Windows & Doors

do not pay until you are satisfied with workmanship windows require flashing over the head archithrave and up under weatherboards

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum