Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hampton build

Page 2 of 2
Update =
We've been receiving conflicting updates past few weeks from our builder and raised this few times with not much improvement.
E.g. "privacy screen installed balcony" but still none that we can see ...
" down pipes bottom installed " but still none that we can see ...
One week we are told Laminate flooring and appliances will be installed, only to realise they haven't .. wish their communication was better, a courtesy call to let us know would have been helpful ..
Seems like they have taken on alot of builds without enough site supervisors .

We have a list of things we were are waiting for response from our site supervisor as to when it will be fixed. Initially told pci date 21st of march but not so sure about that now.

Really hoping we won't find any issues and that things will go more smoothly. Our build has felt lkke it's gone for ages and we are reaching one year since site work started next week!!!!
With the conflicting information provided (I'm guess you are talking about the weekly updates), just curious as to what their response was? I have also noticed this - they tend to note something one week but sometimes it actually gets completed the next week.
I've complained about in our last email send on Friday so no response yet but will see if they respond on Monday. Our build is reaching 1 year since site started and we just want accurate updates because accurate updates mean they are actually watching our build. There's been quite a few errors that we picked up which still hasn't been changed yet - with three weeks until pci. I noticed they recently received a negative review on their product review page and what's been said in a way reflects how we are feeling as well. They still haven't installed our privacy screen on balcony(three weeks ago the update was it's installed)
And there's no bottom down pipes installed despite the updated being it has..
Checking Productreview it seems Better Built Homes boasts about 150 fluffy five star reviews that appear as nicely written to generic templates, and just a few more balanced reviews. The Q&A section there looks mostly templated as well. Caveat Emptor.
Dont think we will reach initial estimated PCI date from our construction manager at this rate. . Our new site supervisor as I've said a few times cannot be blamed as hes looking after 19 builds and keeping us as updated as possible\, is quick in responding, and is following the progress as much as possible.

The emails we receive from customer service representive have been confusing:
* down pipes not installed in the week they were saixd to be installed but the week after
* two weeks of updates saying 'shower screens' will be installed next week but not installed...
* in the past 10 days all we've had a window which they installed incorrectly fixed, a door which they installed incorrectly fixed, and down pipes installed (not painted yet!!). This week is suppose to be a big one so fingers crossed.

theres still driveway, carpet, a number of things they need to fix. Site supervisor has promised to ask electrician to look at plans again as we are still not seeing any downlights in our front porch, and looking back at photos of our last walk through, many light points still missing.

Better built has put some of this down to 'delays in getting materials', and also its cause our house is more 'custom' however I dont think a 33-34 square house with a higher ceiling and some extra external molding (which theyve forgotten install a whole chunk of and now waiting 3 weeks to receive it) is considered that complex.. :O
Its been over a year since they started on our site.
I hope there will be more positive news in the next few weeks.
happyue Just curious as to how many walk throughs you have had so far?
One at frame stage
One at pre lining gyprock
One before kitchen
One after Kitchen (we requested this)
And One three weeks ago (requested by us)
Bathroom
Update:
1 year into our build now and asked about liquidated damages. Been told BBH will be claiming at least 137 days
52 days for rain
40 days for timber shortage
few weeks for shutdown/xmas and covid shutdown.

We are going through all the rain days they claimed as alot of them dont show up as raining on those days according to our records and BOM. Some were also claimed after locked up.
From photos the house is looking good. Microwave doesn't appear to be flushed so that will require fixing. However we continue to receive wrong updates . Past initial estimated PCI already. Past one year into build.

Week 50

Carpet install (the pic we received didn't show it so doubt this happened)

Fence removal

Driveway start

Minor render touch ups

Fix 2 broken glass panels- didn't happen.

Window service

Rectify 2 rear window external bottom track

Silicon seal

Finish painting

Carpenter final touch ups

Fly screen install- can't seem to see any from the outside
Pretty disappointing to be told that this week is a big week, next week is suppose to be driveway pour, pca and tyrells inspection. Not sure if this will happen some of things that were suppose to happen hasn't happened this week.
Thought I'll just update everyone as to our build:
BNH has employed few more site supervisors which is good news -
our build is coming to an end finally!
we had PCI this tuesday - there was quite a lot of paint defects and chips which SS has promised will be fixed.
Few little things missing here and there but otherwise hoping we will have final handover early June, which brings our build to around 1 year 2 months since they started on our site. Went around and took lots of photos and 360's of all the blue tape stickers so we can double check they fixed everything at handover, it does feel like we have to pay alot of attention to detail because things do get forgotten :O .
Have been seeing people on our site almost every day, not long to go now !
Ill say even though our build took what felt like a painfully long time, with the early-mid stages of not seeing trades 2 out of five -days a week or more, we still feel lucky given the current industry conditions .
That's fantastic news!

With the PCI checks, were you the one that picked up on all the issues or did they highlight it to you during the check?

We also got a new site manger a few weeks ago (C*****). He has been great so far.

The past couple of weeks have been finishing eaves, roofs, cleaning walls etc (which all all still work in progress).
Speakers
That's fantastic news!

With the PCI checks, were you the one that picked up on all the issues or did they highlight it to you during the check?

We also got a new site manger a few weeks ago (C*****). He has been great so far.

The past couple of weeks have been finishing eaves, roofs, cleaning walls etc (which all all still work in progress).

Most of the paint issues and chipping were picked up with blue tape, we added a few ourselves. We were missing a few minor things- dimmable lights in main room, laundry rail. We also found some things such as chips in render .
How is your build going?
I think we have the same site supervisor :O
Hoping to have pre-lining inspection sometime this week.

I think I'll have more details once I'm there looking at things.
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum