Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Initial Site handover responsibilities

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, building with Rawson homes. We are at the very first stage of the build, site cut and fill, piercing and slab prep/pour. We were just informed by our site supervisor they found chunks of concrete (quite large upon inspection) and asbestos while they were excavating and have placed it aside for us to remove.

Whilst, I'm not trying to avoid having to remove what seemingly is our issue???. I'm thinking since we handed over the site and Rawson homes "accepted" the site.
Should we be responsible in removing the debris? Is there any pushback here? I am speaking with my demo guy about this and kindly requesting he sends a team out to remove the debris that they left over??? Not sure who's responsible here...

Any advice/ previous experiences like this?

Cheers
Your demo guy was paid to do a proper job? or did he give you a big discount for "I'll only remove the stuff I can see"?
You build contract will have a clause in it for hidden site issues, if they remove it, they will charge you and probably issue with an extension of time due to the delay.
Our demo contract includes a 850mm rake depth.
A friend is building with a project builder and they require 700mm
Kayot1k
Hi guys, building with Rawson homes. We are at the very first stage of the build, site cut and fill, piercing and slab prep/pour. We were just informed by our site supervisor they found chunks of concrete (quite large upon inspection) and asbestos while they were excavating and have placed it aside for us to remove.

Whilst, I'm not trying to avoid having to remove what seemingly is our issue???. I'm thinking since we handed over the site and Rawson homes "accepted" the site.
Should we be responsible in removing the debris? Is there any pushback here? I am speaking with my demo guy about this and kindly requesting he sends a team out to remove the debris that they left over??? Not sure who's responsible here...

Any advice/ previous experiences like this?

Cheers

any updates for this issue ?
I'm facing the same one with Allcastle homes
hi jasper,

how'd you go with your issue?
i had to do the removal in 2 stages,
1. i was able to convince the demo team to come back and pick up the rubble.
2. i found a guy who helped me remove the asbestos contaminated soil (very cheaply).

was a headache for a bit and took quite a few phone calls but it worked out in the end.
With all due respect. If you didn't know there was a problem buried on the block of land you own, why would the builder be 1. expected to know it was there and (2) take responsibility for it?

You are the client and the purchaser, but when you enter into a contract with the builder to engage them as the PC (principal contractor) you keep the client tag but you also become the developer of the property.
Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum