Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Velux skylights facing East

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if anyone has experience living with Velux roof window skylights facing East. We are looking to install 3 of these in a new build over a kitchen Island bench and would really appreciate it if someone has done this and can provide their experience. Really interested to see what it was like in the middle of Summer (heat gain) and Winter (heat loss). Also what was the glare like ? Cheers!
If you are NSW ( you don't say where you are! ) then you should look at getting double glazed skylights/roof windows.
You can get external and internal shade devices as well.
They will make a huge difference to your room. I installed one standard acrylic domed skylight in my East facing kitchen roof many years ago and the difference was night and day.

Stewie
Stewie D
If you are NSW ( you don't say where you are! ) then you should look at getting double glazed skylights/roof windows.
You can get external and internal shade devices as well.
They will make a huge difference to your room. I installed one standard acrylic domed skylight in my East facing kitchen roof many years ago and the difference was night and day.

Stewie

Hi Stewie, I am in SA and will definitely go with the double glazed. I did not know about the external shade options, cheers!
I think from memory, Velux only do the internal shade screens. External are from third party suppliers. I gave a mate of mine a hand to install an external motorised shade over a 2400 x 1000mm roof window about ten years ago. It wasn't cheap but worked very well. In the room below if it was too hot and the sun was hitting that window, hit the switch and the screen rolls across.Very schmick.
We'll be doing something like it for our two West facing large roof windows one at 2200 x 800mm and the other at 2000 x 600mm ( double glazed as well ).

Stewie
double glazed window won't do anything if sun is coming through it I think? it'd need to be low-E glass if there's sun coming through it. Double glazed will be good for radiating / atmosphere heat.

You definitely want cover on the outside of it.
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum