Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floorplan feedback

Page 1 of 1

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone may have on the attached floorplan.

We will be using the Master Bed, and Beds 3 & 4 as our bedrooms. Bed 2 and the Guest Bed will double as work from home spaces as there are two of us working from home on a likely long-term basis. We removed a proposed ensuite from Bed 2, but will put in capped utilities for a possible future re-instatement. The "Day Bed Pod" is actually a Japanese tatami room. Tatami mats come in 1.8m x 0.9m pieces, and so the dimensions of the room are based on this.

This is not a full custom, rather we are amending plans they had for someone else, so we cannot make too major structural changes.

Many thanks in advance.
I think the floor plan is great!

The only thing I would potentially change is upstairs shared bathroom. I would remove the cavity door from bedroom 2 and make the shower bigger in that bathroom

Other than that, I love it!
SJT76

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone may have on the attached floorplan.

We will be using the Master Bed, and Beds 3 & 4 as our bedrooms. Bed 2 and the Guest Bed will double as work from home spaces as there are two of us working from home on a likely long-term basis. We removed a proposed ensuite from Bed 2, but will put in capped utilities for a possible future re-instatement. The "Day Bed Pod" is actually a Japanese tatami room. Tatami mats come in 1.8m x 0.9m pieces, and so the dimensions of the room are based on this.

This is not a full custom, rather we are amending plans they had for someone else, so we cannot make too major structural changes.

Many thanks in advance.

Some tweaks I would explore:
- swap the current mud room/drop zone with the Guest ensuite - entry to the house from the garage via the mudroom to the entrance hallway.
- guest ensuite where the current mudroom is will allow you to turn it into a proper private ensuite. - you may need to rejig the guest bedroom a bit and move the study nook to where the wardrobe currently is. I would move the wardrobe to be against the garage wall - this provides the additional benefit of more acoustic insulation from cars coming and leaving the garage.
- closing off the laundry may also allow additional storage along the wall shared with the guest bedroom

- i personally don't like the master WIR being open to the ensuite. Prefer to be able to close the ensuite off to minimise steam and moisture in the WIR
Thank you both. We'll think about the upstairs bathroom - thank you again. For the downstairs, we would probably need a separate powder room if we made what we have a private ensuite, which is one of the main factors against that. Good thinking on the wardrobe though. We agree on the WIR/ensuite, and are discussing that with the builder already.
SJT76
Thank you both. We'll think about the upstairs bathroom - thank you again. For the downstairs, we would probably need a separate powder room if we made what we have a private ensuite, which is one of the main factors against that. Good thinking on the wardrobe though. We agree on the WIR/ensuite, and are discussing that with the builder already.

If you need a separate powder room, you could possibly carve out some space in the laundry. The existing laundry dimensions look quite generous with lots of potentially dead floor space.

A functional powder room could fit here where i've marked out on the plan - that would also make it more accessible for family and guests to use from the living and alfresco areas, rather than having to go all the way back towards the front door to use the facilities.

Left over space for the laundry should be still very functional I think and shouldn't compromise too much on space and storage.
Your under stairs storage access will have to be moved to the other side.

Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum