Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Living with a dark Colourbond roof

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We are at colour selection stage for building our forever home on the Sunshine Coast, and would like to hear from people who currently live in, or have lived in, a house with a dark Colourbond roof (for example, Night Sky, Monument, etc.).

In particular, any experiences you can share covering:

We understand tile roofs are very different (higher mass), and thus we’d like to keep this conversation focused on Colourbond (or other brands of metal roofs).
theres so much that goes into internal temperatures than what youve mentioned. Other factors are orientation, materials, even solar panels have an impact on how much heat is absorbed through your roof.

I appreciate youre trying to get a detailed answer to make a decision bit its's probably best to approach from a common sense and anecdootal position so youre not paralyzed by all the possible data, variables and what your builder can/cant do.

sunshine coast - Warmer more often than not. Lighter roof colour will be more beneficial to your overall year round comfort than a dark roof (all other things being equal).

If you prefer the aesthetics of a darker roof, go for it. its unlikely it will add a significant difference to your hip pocket over the year. if it worries you, get anticon and upgrade the insulation in your external walls, but I'd do that with a lighter roof anyway, which would narrow the difference even further.

That said the basix requirements for sunshine coast will probably differ enough for your home to have to address the solar absorption of darker roof by...you guessed it, addressing the insulation. Or some other factor you could get away with to increase the overall score.

I wouldn't be thinking of efficiencies. Your home will compare to others to meet a standard. If efficiencies and running costs are genuinely concerns for you, you should consider something custom that addresses those factors from teh outset rather than trying to adress them with colour selections at builders colour studio.

upgrade the insulation and choose whatever colours you want. the builder will vent the colourbond roof as standard pretty sure and choose efficient appliances for cooling/heating. Use heavy window treatments and pelmets. You'll be about as efficient as you can be short of building straw bale, rammed earth, into the side of a hill etc.
Thank you Noname, agree with your points. Certainly not overly concerned, but thought it prudent to see if there were lived experiences we can learn from.
Related
14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

22/03/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Cheers. The painted render is a bit chalky to the touch. To prepare the surface for best adhesion, what would you recommend? Also, given that there must be some…

22/05/2023
How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Outdoor Living

Yes i guess this is one of the main reason as i checked one post foundation

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum