Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New Concrete Slab cracks

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,
Hope all you guys doing great

Just a quick question for those who came across these situation before....

We just have our new house concrete poured two weeks ago in perth WA as its our first house so we dont have any experience in construction..... My partner have noticed thin cracks running one end of the slab to other end. So our question is this anything we should be concerned about and talk to builder about thos or these are just normal cracks....

We are building in a new area so our street alone habe three more slabs poured around the same time and we look at them and they dont have any cracks at all in the slab....

A good advise would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Hey BamrB Welcome to the forum
It's funny how some slabs crack yet others nearby, poured at the same time don't.. was the SS napping on the job (humour)?
Did the work get inspected? Have you got the pad compaction certificate? Had the reinforcement and concrete mix checked?
Too many questions and i doubt you were prepared.
Slab pour delayed after reinforcement inspection
OT, for others always have the site inspected twice for each trade once at the beginning to set down the ground rules, compliance ,etc so when the final inspection is carried out there's excuses for non compliance.
I hope you prepare yourself better for the following stages
[quote="StructuralBIMGuy"]Hey BamrB Welcome to the forum
It's funny how some slabs crack yet others nearby, poured at the same time don't.. was the SS napping on the job (humour)?
Did the work get inspected? Have you got the pad compaction certificate? Had the reinforcement and concrete mix checked?
Too many questions and i doubt you were prepared.
Slab pour delayed after reinforcement inspection
OT, for others always have the site inspected twice for each trade once at the beginning to set down the ground rules, compliance ,etc so when the final inspection is carried out there's excuses for non compliance.
I hope you prepare yourself bette

Thanks heaps StructuralBIMGuy for your honest opinion. We will shurly ask the builder for the compaction certificate and concrete mix check. After all what you said please tell us is there anything we should be really concerned about later down the line....?? Thanks
Keep an eye on the cracking pattern and take photos, particularly if the pattern starts looking like the mesh grid
How quickly did they load the bricks onto the slab after the pour?
It may become an issue in the future if you choose to put expensive porcelain tiles
I think the slab was poured at the start of september and footing were poured 1 day before the slab was poured and the bricks were there three weeks after. But we have also seen a small excavator digging for the soakwells and septic tank and moving around on the slab 10 days after the slab was poured.
But we really noticed the cracks just recently i was not there after atleast two weeks when the slab was poured.
There are degrees of cracking.. you'll just have to wait it out and see if it gets worse.
OT If you got onto any issues during the pour, you could make your case stronger
for extended maintenance and warranty periods.
Related
31/01/2024
Cracks in slab!

Building A New House

The CSIRO BTF18 explains differnt types of cracks and what "normal" is Google this and the top result is actually the latest version. You normally have to buy this from…

15/12/2023
New Concrete Slab extended exposure duration

Building A New House

yep, clearly mark where the infloor heating pipes are before drilling or nailing

30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum