Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Where to put alfresco north facing rear

Page 1 of 1
Hi, currently designing a new build. North facing rear.

Back of House stops 9 metres from back fence. Living and dining area should have great northerly light.

If I put an alfresco on the back of house NW or NE corner it will block light coming into house.

Should I have alfresco/pergola against back fence instead as that area is always shaded from fence anyway?

Am I overthinking this? Back fence option is not very common so I'm wondering there must be a reason why.
Grangeduplex

Back of House stops 9 metres from back fence. Living and dining area should have great northerly light.

If I put an alfresco on the back of house NW or NE corner it will block light coming into house.

Should I have alfresco/pergola against back fence instead as that area is always shaded from fence anyway?

Am I overthinking this? Back fence option is not very common so I'm wondering there must be a reason why.

the back fence option used to be very common until people started adding the alfresco to the house and overlooked best orientation but, depending on your floor plan and local climate, you might consider an alfresco lengthways at right angles to the house eg along the western fence would allow for more shade in the alfresco during afternoons without blocking the northern light to some of the rear of the house
This is just my opinion and personal preference. My backyard directly faces north as well. I need the northerly winter sun to naturally heat up my living spaces (kitchen, dining, family). Original floor plan got a small alfresco. We converted the small small alfresco into internal living space by just moving the sliding doors to align with the northernmost external wall. For me, i love the sun penetrates into the internal living space during winter. So I would avoid putting any roof on the north that would hinnder the winter sun. Free heating from sun. Our plan is to put an outdoor decking either with retractable pergola as roof or a glass roof just to let the winter sun inside the house.
oklouise
Grangeduplex

the back fence option used to be very common until people started adding the alfresco to the house and overlooked best orientation but, depending on your floor plan and local climate, you might consider an alfresco lengthways at right angles to the house eg along the western fence would allow for more shade in the alfresco during afternoons without blocking the northern light to some of the rear of the house

I agree. If back of your house is facing north for your living and dining, I would put the alfresco area on the western side. You get plenty sun and light during the day all year around.

Something like this photo would be really nice. Try to keep it open and not too "heavy" on the roof if your design allows. If you can have a solid wall or some kind of blinds on the west side, it will make your outdoor living more comfortable in summer evening.
What type of climate are you in?

In warm climates you will probably want the house shaded. In cold climates you might not.
NE side… if you have high ceilings and also taller stacker doors as long as the alfresco isn’t as long as an olympic swimming pool light will flow in. NW isn’t a good idea without tree coverage , you won’t use this space on a summers afternoon as it will get very hot
Thank you everyone. 😊
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum