Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Opinion on natural light : North front facing house

Page 1 of 1

I got a North facing plot. Can I get some opinions on the poistions of rooms considering the natural light?
Is it better of flip the plan hoping the council will allow me change the cross over to other side?.
its not an ideal orientation to begin with. all that will happen if you flip this is your living areas will cop all the afternoon heat and light instead of the bedrooms. also re crossovers, you may be able to get the builder to flip the rear (garage wall backwards) keep ing the front untouched. This will mean your entry however leaves down the bedroom corridor and not to the living.
With this floor plan, you will only get some sunlight into your Living and Alfresco in the morning, sunlight will go out by mid day. During summer afternoon and evening, all your bedrooms will keep getting heated in summer sun. That means it might be uncomfortable to sleep or you will have to turn on your AC early to cool the rooms down.

Personally I would flip the whole floor plan. Yes, some sunlight will come into your Living room in the afternoon but at least west side is mostly solid wall instead of windows of every bedrooms and bathrooms. You would also have some sunlight for your alfresco in the evening. If it's too bright, you can always have blinds or sun screens.

If you want to keep the floor plan as it is now, you could also consider some skylights above kitchen area and above bedroom hallway.
Noname
its not an ideal orientation to begin with. all that will happen if you flip this is your living areas will cop all the afternoon heat and light instead of the bedrooms. also re crossovers, you may be able to get the builder to flip the rear (garage wall backwards) keep ing the front untouched. This will mean your entry however leaves down the bedroom corridor and not to the living.

thanks for that . I know its not ideal orientation. trying to do the best with what i got.
Jason526
With this floor plan, you will only get some sunlight into your Living and Alfresco in the morning, sunlight will go out by mid day. During summer afternoon and evening, all your bedrooms will keep getting heated in summer sun. That means it might be uncomfortable to sleep or you will have to turn on your AC early to cool the rooms down.

Personally I would flip the whole floor plan. Yes, some sunlight will come into your Living room in the afternoon but at least west side is mostly solid wall instead of windows of every bedrooms and bathrooms. You would also have some sunlight for your alfresco in the evening. If it's too bright, you can always have blinds or sun screens.

If you want to keep the floor plan as it is now, you could also consider some skylights above kitchen area and above bedroom hallway.

thanks for the ideas.
I am hoping the devoloper/council will allow to have the crossover & garage to the other side ; they haven't build the lot yet.
Then by fliping the whole plan, all bed rooms stay east , living & alfresco facing west.
Yes, I am planning some skylights where you pointed.
trying to get the best out of what I got
maverick03

I got a North facing plot. Can I get some opinions on the poistions of rooms considering the natural light?
Is it better of flip the plan hoping the council will allow me change the cross over to other side?.

Looks like the Living/Kitchen area will be facing east? and Bedrooms West? If that is correct, may not be so bad. Do you have another house bordering the bedrooms? Sun normally sets down at around 250 ~ 280 degrees anyways.. Might not affect bedroom 3 that much. Either way i would go for R 2.7 External Walls and Double Glazing for all windows. Post Handover Install Sheers and Blackout blinds to improve overall thermal performance.
Not sure if you are building with a volume builder. If so, you probably wouldn't get a lot flexibility other than flipping the floor plan.

My block is the same direction as yours, front of house facing north. Even driveway is the same at north east corner.

I took inspiration from this floor plan. I think something like this C shape would offer what you want for your house even though you are building a single level. Maybe you could compromise the backyard to minimum since it's facing dark south, and have a bigger courtyard section. Plenty natural light will come into your living and kitchen space.

If your budget allows, you could engage an architect or a draft person to draw up a plan taking inspiration from this.
On your daytime living areas have a different set of roof eg higher ceiling. And put clarestory. Windows facing north. A flat roof with different heghs.
On your daytime living areas have a different set of roof eg higher ceiling. And put clarestory. Windows facing north. A flat roof with different heghs.
Something like this

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=vTemA2i92nF
Leona33

thanks for the idea!! i love those clerestory windows!
Ceddy_83
maverick03

Looks like the Living/Kitchen area will be facing east? and Bedrooms West? If that is correct, may not be so bad. Do you have another house bordering the bedrooms? Sun normally sets down at around 250 ~ 280 degrees anyways.. Might not affect bedroom 3 that much. Either way i would go for R 2.7 External Walls and Double Glazing for all windows. Post Handover Install Sheers and Blackout blinds to improve overall thermal performance.

Yes , Living/Kitchen area will be facing east and Bedrooms West. thanks for the tips.
Jason526
Not sure if you are building with a volume builder. If so, you probably wouldn't get a lot flexibility other than flipping the floor plan.

My block is the same direction as yours, front of house facing north. Even driveway is the same at north east corner.

I took inspiration from this floor plan. I think something like this C shape would offer what you want for your house even though you are building a single level. Maybe you could compromise the backyard to minimum since it's facing dark south, and have a bigger courtyard section. Plenty natural light will come into your living and kitchen space.

If your budget allows, you could engage an architect or a draft person to draw up a plan taking inspiration from this.

Yes, I think the original floor plan isn't going to work well for that block in either orientation and OP would be better off looking at a different design, a design/construct or paying a designer a few grand to design a custom floorplan that suits the block.

Garage should always be on the west side. Better to move the alfresco up from the south-east to the east, as you suggest.

OP, be careful putting bedrooms on the west with no protection. In our last house one of the bedrooms and the second living room were unusable in summer (Brisbane).
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum