Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Build Period for Double Storey

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

Been a little concern with my slow build of a custom double storey home. Just wondering how long does it take on average for double storey home (24-34) sq to be completed. And what stage took the longest time?
Is normal to have lockup stage take 5-6 months?
Ceddy_83
Hi Everyone,

Been a little concern with my slow build of a custom double storey home. Just wondering how long does it take on average for double storey home (24-34) sq to be completed. And what stage took the longest time?

Ceddy

A home of that size by a custom builder should take no more than 7-8 months from Demo to landscaping.

Having said that at the moment with the Covid situation build programs are getting longer as trades are not always available due to either being sick or requiring vaccinations, materials are often out of stock and in Sydney we can only operate at 50% capacity.

I would say that as long as your builder is communicating with you constantly and keeping you updated that you unfortunately are going to have to be patient and work as a team, as the whole industry is suffering.

if you have any technical questions or want to discuss further let me know, otherwise good luck finishing your build

Cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes
Ceddy_83
Hi Everyone,

Ceddy

A home of that size by a custom builder should take no more than 7-8 months from Demo to landscaping.

Having said that at the moment with the Covid situation build programs are getting longer as trades are not always available due to either being sick or requiring vaccinations, materials are often out of stock and in Sydney we can only operate at 50% capacity.

I would say that as long as your builder is communicating with you constantly and keeping you updated that you unfortunately are going to have to be patient and work as a team, as the whole industry is suffering.

if you have any technical questions or want to discuss further let me know, otherwise good luck finishing your build

Cheers

Simeon

That's what i thought so, looks like my builder will takes more 12 months for a similar project build. It is mentally exhausting, watching others finish ahead of you while they started 4-6 months after you!!

The problem is that the project schedule provided has no bearing with what is actually happening with the build. It is more of marketing infomercial than a reliable update.
They allow way more time than they need in contracts, to avoid paying the homeowner late fees and surcharges etc.
From slab to move in we were just on 6 mints. To be fair, we did retro fit appliances and some other things, but 7 months is pretty standard.
Blacktea2sugars
They allow way more time than they need in contracts, to avoid paying the homeowner late fees and surcharges etc.
From slab to move in we were just on 6 mints. To be fair, we did retro fit appliances and some other things, but 7 months is pretty standard.

I would think so too, the builder i have slowest builder in Australia i think so. Taking over 5 months post frame to complete lockup!
Is legal for a builder to claim 28 days build delay for 14 days lock down?
Have you had a chat to your builder to see what may be causing the delays? Seeing as you are doing a custom build, you can't really compare to others who may be building with volume builders. Your builder may be more boutique and chooses to work with a smaller but more trusted team of trades compares to a volume builder who has a huge list of trades with varying qualities.

Also keep in mind that the federal governments HomeBuilder program has put a massive strain on the building industry where demand has been through the roof. This means material shortages and trades being booked out many weeks in advance. Volume builders can also get preferential treatment here as they can make larger orders or have bigger/more lucrative jobs for trades which means your custom builder is sitting at the bottom of the list.

Then there's COVID as well where workers may need to isolate for 2 weeks if they visited certain sites.

Although it's upsetting, a lot of these variables unfortunately add up to delays in these trying times. Just to give you a comparison, I'm in a very similar situation to you where I am building a 32sq custom double storey and it started approximately a year ago. We were expecting handover in August but due to all the factors I listed above including the recent 2 week construction shut down in Melbourne, we will not have handover until end of October.

The saving grace throughout these stressful times is that my builder has been very transparent with what's happening in the current climate and the challenges being faced.
keyman
Have you had a chat to your builder to see what may be causing the delays? Seeing as you are doing a custom build, you can't really compare to others who may be building with volume builders. Your builder may be more boutique and chooses to work with a smaller but more trusted team of trades compares to a volume builder who has a huge list of trades with varying qualities.

Also keep in mind that the federal governments HomeBuilder program has put a massive strain on the building industry where demand has been through the roof. This means material shortages and trades being booked out many weeks in advance. Volume builders can also get preferential treatment here as they can make larger orders or have bigger/more lucrative jobs for trades which means your custom builder is sitting at the bottom of the list.

Then there's COVID as well where workers may need to isolate for 2 weeks if they visited certain sites.

Although it's upsetting, a lot of these variables unfortunately add up to delays in these trying times. Just to give you a comparison, I'm in a very similar situation to you where I am building a 32sq custom double storey and it started approximately a year ago. We were expecting handover in August but due to all the factors I listed above including the recent 2 week construction shut down in Melbourne, we will not have handover until end of October.

The saving grace throughout these stressful times is that my builder has been very transparent with what's happening in the current climate and the challenges being faced.

Sound like you are very lucky, my builder keeps peddling wrong information on delivery dates for different stages and no far nothing goes as per plan with no little or no communication at all.
Ceddy_83
Is legal for a builder to claim 28 days build delay for 14 days lock down?

Ceddy

I think I can understand why he has claimed longer as it took us time to get trades vaccinated as well following the initial lockdown, but luckily we run ahead of program usually on our jobs so when lockdown hit we had some time up our sleeves.

I am not defending your guy as it sounds like you have been having many problems, but there is a concept in construction called "recovery days" so when it rains and an item is on a critical path, say your slab, the builder can claim the days lost for the actual rain, but also some days for the site to dry out as well. Not sure if this can be applied in a pandemic.

Perhaps this is what your builder was thinking. Generally you have the ability to challenge the EOT's, but you may need some advice from a legal expert.

Good luck Ceddy, I hope things get better for you

Cheers

Simeon
Related
31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum