Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hot Water Advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am trying to find a solution for hot water for a new build. It is a long, narrow house and finding a suitable location for a HWS is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

It is currently in the small section at the back next to the living room, though we have been advised against this because it is a long distance from the ensuite meaning there will be over 20 metres of pipe which is obviously not ideal.

Around the side next to the laundry would be better but then it restricts our outdoor access from the front to the back of the house since we have boundary walls on both sides and this walkway is only 1 metre wide... the HWS here would make it impossible to get a lawnmower or wheelbarrow past.

Solar would work well but the builder says there is not enough room on the roof?! We have about 2.7 metres on the north which I think could be enough and this would be my preferred option if we could find a way to do it.

The only thing the builder's plumber keep suggesting is get a gas instant system, which is possible, but may be expensive to install since construction has already started and we do not have a gas service to the house. It is not our preferred option anyway since gas is becoming increasingly expensive and we would rather take advantage of the sun or our solar panels.

I'm hoping somebody who knows more than me might have a good idea as I feel like we need to consider something outside the box.

Instant electric would be a potential alternative, but you need to consider running costs
If it an electric system or heat pump it should be possible to put it inside.

In the UK it is only gas hot water systems that are outside, any other hot water service are inside, typically in a linen cupboard keeping the towels warm.
I would suggest your only option is a heat pump if you can't do a roof top solar system.

Can't use instant electric HWU as it doesn't comply with National Construction Code

Doozer1905
I would suggest your only option is a heat pump if you can't do a roof top solar system.

Can't use instant electric HWU as it doesn't comply with National Construction Code

Heat pump has the same problem as electric... there is no good location for the storage tank
Doozer1905

Would you have more information on that?
I've been trying to find out the current state of things (specifically for QLD where we are building) and it seems that the laws mandating efficient water heaters were repealed in 2013. And I haven't received a flat out 'No' from a builder (yet).
National Construction Code. Volume 3 Item B2.2

Doozer1905
National Construction Code. Volume 3 Item B2.2

Yeah that's where I'm getting confused. What people write on the internet doesn't match NCC.

I'm looking at the NCC2019 here: https://ncc.abcb.gov.au/editions/2019-a ... ated-water

For all states it says you can't use electric resistance water heater in class 1 building unless it's 1 bdrm house or it's a secondary water heater or you are using green power from the grid.

Then when you look at Qld B2.2, it says:

QLD
Qld B2.2 * * * * *
Explanatory information
This clause has deliberately been left blank.

So that clause is deleted for QLD, meaning I'm free to install whatever I want? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly? The 2016 version of NCC actually explictily said in QLD B2.2 'delete the contents of B2.2' and replace it with the above text. Is 2019 a 'deletion of deletion', or is my interpretation correct, and the general 2.2 clause doesn't apply to QLD?
I would suggest that clause has been deleted in Queensland, I would have to look at it again in the code. You can email the ABCB regarding this they are very helpful.

Related
16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

11/01/2024
Leaking Hot water

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum