Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Block orientation and plan suggestions

Page 1 of 1
Hello... I'm looking for advice on the south facing corner block. To right of the block you have a small park.

Attaching the home plan as well, I'm bit concerned if I would have enough light in the entrance foyer. The entrance door will be 1200 mm should I be upgrading to double door?

The orange boundary on the plan is where brick pier colorbond fence will be put, Green boundary will be hedging and pink boundary is colorbond fence.
For your front door either a glass door or a solid wooden door with sidelight
For your south facing block, your entrance will be darker than rest of the house especially you have a good sized porch. But why is it a concern for you? It's a hallway anyway. It's not a living space. Your main living space is at back of the house which is facing north. That will be very nice already.

Unless you want to re-design your whole house. You can make your frontage/main entrance on the other street if possible. That way it's facing east and you can have slightly more light in the morning.
Jason526
For your south facing block, your entrance will be darker than rest of the house especially you have a good sized porch. But why is it a concern for you? It's a hallway anyway. It's not a living space. Your main living space is at back of the house which is facing north. That will be very nice already.

Unless you want to re-design your whole house. You can make your frontage/main entrance on the other street if possible. That way it's facing east and you can have slightly more light in the morning.

Thanks Jason... maybe I'm just overthinking for the hallway. I just felt this because the hallway is around 9 to 11 m long. But I should get some light if I leave couple of room doors open.
Our house faces south-east and has a very similar facade. We have a 1.2m wide door with 6 frosted glass panels. I have never found the hallway dark at all. Our hallway is around 8m long.
We find that the awning windows don't let much breeze in, I would consider swapping the front for sliding.
bestspecials
Our house faces south-east and has a very similar facade. We have a 1.2m wide door with 6 frosted glass panels. I have never found the hallway dark at all. Our hallway is around 8m long.

Ah nice! That's assuring... thank u!
MegKo
Hello... I'm looking for advice on the south facing corner block. To right of the block you have a small park.

Attaching the home plan as well, I'm bit concerned if I would have enough light in the entrance foyer. The entrance door will be 1200 mm should I be upgrading to double door?

The orange boundary on the plan is where brick pier colorbond fence will be put, Green boundary will be hedging and pink boundary is colorbond fence.

for any internal rooms including downstairs halls, under stairs and and windowless rooms consider Solar Skylights that add daylight without needing direct access to outside..very happy with ours
Related
24/04/2024
Screed Orientation

General Discussion

Hi Everyone, Looking for opinions on how to orient…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum