Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Cost in Melbourne

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are planning to build a 20sq/185sqm single-story house at Ashwood, Melbourne. Our builder has provided budgeting but it has far exceeded our expectations. I am wondering if you guys can share how much is the rough cost for a house of this size? I understand that there would be a range based on the finishes but just wanted a guide to see if what I am expected to pay.

Thank you in advance!
Get a few more quotes from other builders with similar inclusions so you know where you stand. With volume builders, per SQ price should be around $1500. So you would be looking at $300-$350k mark. With boutique/custom builders, normally it starts around $2000/SQ mark. You'd be at $400-$450k.
We're building the same size house in the northern suburbs. Received quotes ranging from $240 - $550k.
I'm building 32sq home in regional Vic with quite a few upgrades.
Final contract price came in at around $400k (including site works and Reverse Cycle Heating and cooling)
Jason526
Get a few more quotes from other builders with similar inclusions so you know where you stand. With volume builders, per SQ price should be around $1500. So you would be looking at $300-$350k mark. With boutique/custom builders, normally it starts around $2000/SQ mark. You'd be at $400-$450k.

That is what I figured which is why I got a shock when the quote I receive is above $500k not including site costs and the inclusions included are quite standard.
mcbks
We're building the same size house in the northern suburbs. Received quotes ranging from $240 - $550k.

Do you mind sharing the builders you seek out?
kennyc
Final contract price came in at around $400k (including site works and Reverse Cycle Heating and cooling)

I think pricing differs quite a bit in Melbourne. I am now considering checking semi-custom volume builders like GJ Gardner.
Jason526

Do you have any recommendations for boutique/custom builders you have consulted?
newbieash
kennyc

I think pricing differs quite a bit in Melbourne. I am now considering checking semi-custom volume builders like GJ Gardner.

I recommend SJD homes.
Been good this far.
kennyc
newbieash
kennyc

I recommend SJD homes.
Been good this far.

Unfortunately they don't build in my area.
I'm in outer east Melbourne and receiving quotes about $2100-$2200 per sqm for custom builder on sloped block. I imagine should be bit less for flat block.
newbieash
mcbks

Do you mind sharing the builders you seek out?

We spoke with all the builders that had display homes anywhere near us. From memory that included: Metricon, henley. Simmonds, porter Davis, Sherridon, Dennis family, nostra, gj Gardner, escape, boutique, 8, stroud, Burbank, Langdon. There were a few others as well, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
Related
12/10/2023
Building cost and builder in Melbourne

Building A New House

custom probably not. Volume, most defiantly, but spec would vary. If youre doing a knock down, there additional costs associated with that that will eat into your budget…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations - Melbourne

Building A New House

I do enjoy the drama:-D In his latest two videos he has started bringing security guards to site, I am waiting for the punch on to begin lol

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum