We had a budget of 650-700k for the house build (including post handover house work, not including any landscaping) and found Thomas Archer to have the best balance between aesthetic/budget.
We are building a slightly modified Nouveau 41sq home in South East burbs, Victoria. We started our journey a while back but secured our land in November 2020 and paid our deposit with TA in December 2020.
Our S3 facade selection (which we were surprised to find the concrete effect to be extra even though this is advertised as the S3 facade! A little misleading in my opinion!)
We received Tender V1 in late July, and we are currently finalising our choices for the changes in Tender V2.
We are pretty happy with the Tender V1, we have to make some changes such as changing from quartz countertops to natural stone (which has been a pain - it’s like they can’t be bothered dealing with their stone suppliers and providing quotes), and a few minor electrical changes.
We are doing most lighting post handover and our stove and oven installation post handover too.
One thing to note is that we chose S2 stairs as we wanted the underneath storage but luckily we checked as they have not provided a door to access the underneath. Which was quite annoying in itself because we specified we required the storage - and now when inquiring about it - our building coordinator seems quite peeved even though she’s been great so far.
Is there anything we should be aware of before sending through our amended Tender on Monday? As we don’t want to have to pay for a tender v3!
We have been told that site start is penciled in for November 2021.
Some questions we have for the experienced here!
- How long was it between your ‘Site start’ after receiving ‘final tender’?
- I can see a lot of you have beautiful landscaping, and was wondering how much we should be budgeting for landscaping (especially if you had to have a retaining wall at the back)?
- We are thinking of engaging Darbecca as our private building inspector, but didn’t seem to make Thomas Archer too happy. Did you use your own private inspector? And if so, how was it? Do you recommend it?
- Did anyone do their WIR post handover? Any recommendations? Any idea on ballpark pricing here?
- Has anyone done ‘Crimsafe’ security doors? Are they worth it?
- Did you have to get a Power pit installed? If so, how much did you get quoted?
Timeline to date
- December 2020 - Deposit paid to TAH
- January 2021 - Soil & site survey
- February 2021 - Met with our building coordinator
- March 2021 - Master/Siting plans V1
- April 2021 - Master/Siting plans V2
- May 2021 - ResCode assessment
- May 2021 - Joinery plans
- June 2021 - Style & Electrical appointment/plans
- July 2021 - HVAC appointment
- July 2021 - Tender V1
- July 2021 - Electrical/Gas abolishments
- July 2021 - Power pit quote application