Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Leave initial deposit with 2 builders and get to contract st

Page 1 of 1
I am building a new house and looking at two volume builders. They both have something like a $1.5k deposit required before they get to work to prepare a contract.

Would it make sense to proceed with two different volume builders to the contract stage and forego the initial deposit on one builder and proceed with the other depending on what the final contracted price is?

I ask this as I imagine that builders must realise you have a lot of time invested up to the point of contract signing giving them leverage and therefore they might take advantage with a padded cost in the final contract.

For example, if builder A comes out with a build cost of $30k more than builder B for what is essentially the same thing, I can drop builder A and proceed with builder B.
Frank Wright
For example, if builder A comes out with a build cost of $30k more than builder B for what is essentially the same thing, I can drop builder A and proceed with builder B.

That only works if your own copyright of the drawings make sure you have the geotech report, engineering, quantities/data and species all tied up. If it costs $30K more then you want to know why.... avoid any surprises after you have committed to one and ditched the other builder.
OT make sure you understand all the contract conditions, particularly delays, etc
Cheers
Chris
Dont pay any tender fees until the builder provides you with a copy of their contract template to review, and some written estimates of typical site costs and provisional estimates based on their experience gained from other homes they have built in the area.
Frank Wright
I am building a new house and looking at two volume builders. They both have something like a $1.5k deposit required before they get to work to prepare a contract.

Would it make sense to proceed with two different volume builders to the contract stage and forego the initial deposit on one builder and proceed with the other depending on what the final contracted price is?

I ask this as I imagine that builders must realise you have a lot of time invested up to the point of contract signing giving them leverage and therefore they might take advantage with a padded cost in the final contract.

My experience is that the builder will set up a meeting first to go through estimate and work out an estimate price then you pay tender price if you are happy with it. They will use the money to do couture survey, soil test etc then provide you the drawing plan and a tender, normally is higher than originally discussed. I know people who pay for multiple builders to compare the price but it's very hard to compare apple to apple as plan is different. I hope this helps.
Related
3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

1/05/2023
preliminary agreement deposit limit in NSW

Building A New House

In NSW the maximum deposit for building work is 5% until the builder provides HBCF insurance

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum