Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Retaining wall & Drop edge beam

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
I am bit in difficult situation as I don't know where to go. I hope someone can share their experience or an expert opinion.

Lot size 10x30 - slop front to back 1.5 m approx.
Build date - Sep 2020

When building house - builder told me either I can have drop edge beam or retaining wall. Which I think is very common. I choose to do retaining wall.

After the building the house - Certifier issued OC (does not say it is an interim OC) but it has condition pending external work. He basically approved the plan without requirement of drop edge beam.

After 2 months of move in I was ready to do landscaping and fencing. So I thought I will take is confirmation before I start any work So I called him and He came to visit my place and rejected the retaining wall plan and asked I need to do have drop edge beam! Reason he gave me is that I can not have any fill outside building envelope. And if I remove the fill from back yard it will expose the land/ fill under the slab. (I would require 300 to 700 mm fill minimum in back yard).

Then, I applied same plan in Liverpool, NSW council - and they rejected the plan with similar reason.

1. Has any one been in similar situation & How did you deal with it?
2. Silly question - is possible to do drop edge beam now?
3. Out of curiosity - Whose fault it is? Builder, Certifier or Mine.
Pratik
Hi All,
I am bit in difficult situation as I don't know where to go. I hope someone can share their experience or an expert opinion.

Build date - Sep 2020

When building house - builder told me either I can have drop edge beam or retaining wall. Which I think is very common. I choose to do retaining wall.

After the building the house - Certifier issued OC (does not say it is an interim OC) but it has condition pending external work. He basically approved the plan without requirement of drop edge beam.

After 2 months of move in I was ready to do landscaping and fencing. So I thought I will take is confirmation before I start any work So I called him and He came to visit my place and rejected the retaining wall plan and asked I need to do have drop edge beam! Reason he gave me is that I can not have any fill outside building envelope. And if I remove the fill from back yard it will expose the land/ fill under the slab. (I would require 300 to 700 mm fill minimum in back yard).

Then, I applied same plan in Liverpool, NSW council - and they rejected the plan with similar reason.

Hi Pratik

Is there any chance you can post your elevations and your structural plan so that the smart people on here can help answer your question? Its a bit hard without seeing drawings

Thanks

Simeon
Ashington Homes
Pratik
Hi All,

Build date - Sep 2020

Hi Pratik

Is there any chance you can post your elevations and your structural plan so that the smart people on here can help answer your question? Its a bit hard without seeing drawings

Thanks

Simeon

Hi Simeon,

Please see photos.

1. Alfresco to Backyard.

Pratik
Ashington Homes
Pratik
Hi All,

Build date - Sep 2020

Hi Pratik

Thanks

Simeon

Hi Simeon,

Please see photos.

1. Alfresco to Backyard.

2. Back Boundary - Number indicates retaining wall height

3. North side boundary - number indicates fill from ground level

4. South side boundary - number indicates fill from ground level.

Pratik
3. North side boundary - number indicates fill from ground level

4. South side boundary - number indicates fill from ground level.

I really need to see your structural plan for the slab if you have it. The way you have described your problem is highly unusual in my experience.

Can you email it to me along with some photos of the sides of your house and I will get you an answer? If it's too complicated for me to answer I will ask one of my engineers to help.

my email is simeon@ashingtonhomes.com.au

If you are not comfortable with sending me your structural plans, I can pass on the details of a good engineer who can help you for a reasonable fee

Cheers

Simeon
Pratik
Hi All,

Build date - Sep 2020

Pratik

Thanks for emailing everything over. To answer your original question I would put the blame on your builder. The fill is so close to the edge of your slab in places he should not have built your house without either:

1. A drop edge beam
2. A retaining wall installed prior to the slab being poured to hold that fill in place.

What the certifier is worried about is that any external works will undermine the fill that is holding the slab in place. I think your certifier is correct.

I have a pretty full day today but when I get a minute I will give you a call with some ideas on how to proceed. Bottom line though is you are going to need an engineer to advise how to go forward assuming the builder isn't willing too?

You do really need to speak to the engineer who designed your slab and see if they have provided a certificate.

To me this is a cautionary tale about signing a building contract when your builder isnt responsible for getting you the OC and when they simply put critical works back on you after PC. My opinion is that PC and OC should always be tied in together. That's just my whinge.

Anyway, lets chat later and try and get you some help

Simeon
Related
11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

30/10/2023
Drop edge beam

General Discussion

I would like to build our new house with the rear section approx 1 metre out of the ground, I don't particularly like to go bearers and joists so concrete slab all the way…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum