Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Getting TV cables behind the wall through bullnose

Page 1 of 1
Hoping someone can point me in the direction of a website or YouTube video please!

We moved in to our new build a few years back and I remember the sparkie left some string behind the wall which we used (can’t recall how!) to get the tv cables behind the wall and out the bottom bullnose plate. There’s one tv we didn’t do and I can’t for the life of me remember how to do it.

Appreciate any help. The husband is happy to live with dangling cables so I’m going it alone (not that he was any good with the last lot!)

Not really sure what you're question is but it sounds like you need an electrician. While i'm certainly not one to shy away from running cables yourself though the walls, just remember that technically it is illegal to do so.
Monty85
Not really sure what you're question is but it sounds like you need an electrician. While i'm certainly not one to shy away from running cables yourself though the walls, just remember that technically it is illegal to do so.
I think they mean HDMI, Aerial and the power cord which is legal.

you can use a stiff piece of plastic, often the yellow tongue of chipboard flooring, only problems are insulation and noggings.
Pulse
Monty85

you can use a stiff piece of plastic, often the yellow tongue of chipboard flooring, only problems are insulation and noggings.

I'm almost certain you're not supposed to run a power cord through a wall (through conduit) but happy to be proven wrong.
Monty85
Pulse
Monty85

I'm almost certain you're not supposed to run a power cord through a wall (through conduit) but happy to be proven wrong.
Yep what Pulse explained is what we are trying to do. We had the bullnose installed for our wall mounted tv and we connected a soundbar which sits on the unit and I want to feed the power cord through the bullnose to the tv to connect it rather than leave it dangling

MrsJM
Yep what Pulse explained is what we are trying to do. We had the bullnose installed for our wall mounted tv and we connected a soundbar which sits on the unit and I want to feed the power cord through the bullnose to the tv to connect it rather than leave it dangling

Is there conduit from the top bullnose plate to the bottom one? As in, is there a pipe that goes from one to other?

Still not 100% sure on what you trying to do - maybe take some pictures.

Again though, feeding a power cord through the wall is not advised.
I’m 100% certain it’s OK, it is plugged into a GPO and not part of fixed wiring. Pretty standard way to do it, alternatively you need a GPO behind the TV. You just need some yellow tongue and electrical tape to tape the IEC end of the cable to the yellow tongue
MrsJM
Hoping someone can point me in the direction of a website or YouTube video please!

We moved in to our new build a few years back and I remember the sparkie left some string behind the wall which we used (can’t recall how!) to get the tv cables behind the wall and out the bottom bullnose plate. There’s one tv we didn’t do and I can’t for the life of me remember how to do it.

Appreciate any help. The husband is happy to live with dangling cables so I’m going it alone (not that he was any good with the last lot!)

MrsJM

I have proudly given myself the title of professional TV installer in my family, as I had to do 4 last year
. But I am with the others in that I am not sure what you mean especially by bullnose? Any chance of photos?

If you are simply trying to run your HDMI & power cable from the TV through a hole and down to a lower hole, you will need some hard thin long plastic, like the yellow stuff on yellow tongue and then you tape your HDMI cable to it and feed it down the wall cavity.

The issue will be if there is a noggin in the way, so if you hit one, you are kind of stuck, you may be able to do some exploring one stud over and hope there isn't one there.

If that doesn't work, and you really want to hide the cables you need to drill a hole or cut a rebate through the noggin, which would mean cutting a hole in the plasterboard first and then we are getting into a big job.

fingers crossed that the carpenters installed the noggins above the TV

Cheers

Simeon
Related
14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum