Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Footing cost and Soil classification

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Newbie here

We are in the process of finalising a floor plan for our new house at Para Hills in Adelaide.

Before we jump into the next stage of finalising the draft and signing a contract, I was wondering if anyone in this forum has built a house in the area so I can get a rough idea on footings and soil quality.

Also, if anyone can help with a soil classification map or database showing different soil types would be greatly appreciated. The one I've stumbled across is pretty old and it probably doesn't get updated anymore.

TMK Consulting Engineers - Soil Movement Map > South Australia (tmkmaps.com.au)

Looking forwards to hear from you.

Thank You
Shouldn't you have a soil report for your piece of land by now? That's the first thing they do here when you pay your deposit. Or are you asking for different purposes?
soletraveller
Also, if anyone can help with a soil classification map or database showing different soil types would be greatly appreciated. The one I've stumbled across is pretty old and it probably doesn't get updated anymore.

Stumbling can cost you a lot of additional money in variations as you need a proper certified geotech report
The builder doesn't have to organise one until you pay a preparation of plan deposit and you're near finalising the contract.
By then it may well be too late where unforeseen costs emerge ....lets hope not
Forewarned is forearmed
strannik
Shouldn't you have a soil report for your piece of land by now? That's the first thing they do here when you pay your deposit. Or are you asking for different purposes?

Hi Strannik,

We bought the property last year with an existing house which will be demolished to build our new home.
Property is currently tenanted and the lease runs out in Jan 2022, hence we have started early to finalise plans, designs, approvals etc....
The reason for my question was to get an idea on the footing cost so we are mentally prepared for the maximum blow out if that occurs.
StructuralBIMGuy
soletraveller

Stumbling can cost you a lot of additional money in variations as you need a proper certified geotech report
The builder doesn't have to organise one until you pay a preparation of plan deposit and you're near finalising the contract.
By then it may well be too late where unforeseen costs emerge ....lets hope not
Forewarned is forearmed

100% agree with you.....I know there are few newly built houses in the last year or 6 months on the same street so this is to get an idea of the approx cost of footing considering the soil classification would be more or less be the same type.....
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum