Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tender - site costs ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are in the process of signing a tender with a project builder and we just wanted to double check to see if the costs provided (mainly site and hydraulics) look ok.

Some info on our site

Size: 470m
Site Class: P
Slab Class: H2
Wind Class: N2
ys Range (normal): 41-50mm
Hs: 1800mm
Fill: Yes(shallow)
Ground Slope: Gentle
Rock: No
Piers Required: Yes, 2000mm
Drop Edge Beam: Yes, 650(back), 720(front)
Encasement of sewer: Yes (back of house, the corner just slightly over sewer)
Parcel affected by mainland Flooding: No
Parcel affected by overland Flooding: Low to Medium risk
1:100 year max flood level: 13.5
FGL R.L: 13.65
FFL R.L: 14.035

Standard House cost: $400K
Council cost: 8K
Fixed site costs: 55K
Provisional allowance for Hydraulics: 30K

So my fixed site costs and hydraulics is approx 85K all up, does this amount sound too high or is it generally about right (I know its hard to really say as unforeseen variables are not taken into account), however just generally, considering the info above, do these costs look OK more or less?

Any feedback is appreciated and will be taken on board.

Thank you
Get another block lol
rocketc
Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are in the process of signing a tender with a project builder and we just wanted to double check to see if the costs provided (mainly site and hydraulics) look ok.

Some info on our site

Size: 470m
Site Class: P
Slab Class: H2
Wind Class: N2
ys Range (normal): 41-50mm
Hs: 1800mm
Fill: Yes(shallow)
Ground Slope: Gentle
Rock: No
Piers Required: Yes, 2000mm
Drop Edge Beam: Yes, 650(back), 720(front)
Encasement of sewer: Yes (back of house, the corner just slightly over sewer)
Parcel affected by mainland Flooding: No
Parcel affected by overland Flooding: Low to Medium risk
1:100 year max flood level: 13.5
FGL R.L: 13.65
FFL R.L: 14.035

Standard House cost: $400K
Council cost: 8K
Fixed site costs: 55K
Provisional allowance for Hydraulics: 30K

So my fixed site costs and hydraulics is approx 85K all up, does this amount sound too high or is it generally about right (I know its hard to really say as unforeseen variables are not taken into account), however just generally, considering the info above, do these costs look OK more or less?

Any feedback is appreciated and will be taken on board.

Thank you

Rocketc

Without seeing your plans its hard to give you accurate numbers, but the things that stand out are:

1. P Soil - so there is some extras that go into the slab
2. They are piering to 2m, so there's prob 15-20k there depending on how many you need and are they concrete or screw piles
3. You have 2 drop edge beams
4. they are encasing the sewer

Your hydraulic costs sound on the high side, but again without seeing the plans its hard to know what they have allowed for.

All the best

Simeon
Thanks Simeon
Thanks Simone and everyone.

I have attached a full copy of the soil test for more comprehensive info.

My main concern is getting a huge surprise in additional site costs/hydraulics etc after tender.

The test results may have been written in egyptian hieroglyphs. I know my piece of land is not a particularly good site (P), but beyond that, no idea how bad it is and what additional costs I might incur (I'm just worried that it could blow out ridiculously beyond the already 85K allowed for site/hydraulics)

Based on the site test attached, does anyone notice anything that sticks out as a caution that may cause this?

Thank you to anyone that can help.

the last image is unreadable even when you open it up. not sure if its just me.

In any case provisional sums are a minefield. often they get used up entirely whether they were needed or not. Then when you go asking for justifications, you get "managed". Oh we don't provide those invoices to you, oh thats not how it works. Oh they're our invoices, so privacy, blah blah blah. Many people just accept whatever they get told.

Get some additional quotes for the work if you can and if they're significantly lower, try to negotiate with the builder to fix them at a lower rate. Some banks wont allow provisional sums in contracts and if they remain, often require you to have the funds available.

good luck!
rocketc

My main concern is getting a huge surprise in additional site costs/hydraulics etc after tender.

The test results may have been written in egyptian hieroglyphs. I know my piece of land is not a particularly good site (P), but beyond that, no idea how bad it is and what additional costs I might incur (I'm just worried that it could blow out ridiculously beyond the already 85K allowed for site/hydraulics)

Based on the site test attached, does anyone notice anything that sticks out as a caution that may cause this?

rocketc

Rocketc

Unfortunately I cant read the document. I literally have the worst eye!. I got tested last week and am waiting for the new glasses to come. Apparently the reason I haven't been able to see for the couple of years is my eyes have gone up 3 points or something.

Anyway, it might be easier for you to just give me a call and we discuss it in detail if you are comfortable with that. Depending where you live and your local council's stormwater policy, I see the biggest risks being:

1. Your OSD requirements if any. I would assume that with a $25k PS allowance they are expecting some issues in that regard
2. Rock - it's hard to comment on that without seeing your plans & being able to read the report.

call me on 0431712792 or email me simeon@ashingtonhomes.com.au

On lockdown, so free to chat

Cheers

Simeon
rocketc

Rocketc

Unfortunately I cant read the document. I literally have the worst eye!. I got tested last week and am waiting for the new glasses to come. Apparently the reason I haven't been able to see for the couple of years is my eyes have gone up 3 points or something.

Anyway, it might be easier for you to just give me a call and we discuss it in detail if you are comfortable with that. Depending where you live and your local council's stormwater policy, I see the biggest risks being:

1. Your OSD requirements if any. I would assume that with a $25k PS allowance they are expecting some issues in that regard
2. Rock - it's hard to comment on that without seeing your plans & being able to read the report.

Cheers

Simeon
rocketc

Rocketc

Unfortunately I cant read the document. I literally have the worst eyes! I got tested last week and am waiting for the new glasses to come. Apparently the reason I haven't been able to see for the couple of years is my eyes have gone up 3 points or something.

Cheers

Simeon
Related
26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

17/04/2024
Site costs

Buying Land

Henley should give you some indication of site costs. Too many variable to give you any reasonable accuracy

3/06/2023
Tender and Roof Colours

General Discussion

Hey. Head to a metal and decide on which profile you will use first. Profiles with larger corrugations can greatly change the appearance of the color in different…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum