Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building in Canberra - Costs

Page 1 of 2
We've recently moved down to canberra from sydney.
Now looking to build a house.

I've had plans drawn up by an architect and now in the process of getting quotes from builders. Having never built in Canberra before, I have no idea about how pricing in canberra works.

We want to build a double storey house with an area of 425 sqm. So far we have received two quotes, both of them are ~$900K which translates to ~$2100 per sqm.

I find these prices too high. Is this normal in Canberra? Can anyone recommend a decent builder who is a bit more reasonably priced?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

My plans

anyone?
We're in the process of building with Achieve Homes. We found them to be quite cost competitive compared to other builders but as we are only at the early stages of construction we can't really speak to the quality of the build as yet.
Pretty normal - currently with timber being so expensive you can expect $1900 to 2100 as average with top level being at $3000/sqm
Nzastrix
Pretty normal - currently with timber being so expensive you can expect $1900 to 2100 as average with top level being at $3000/sqm

Understand that. But what is the difference between $2100 and $3000 build. What do you get for the extra $1000. Is it only fittings & finishings? The internals (frame, trusses etc) would be the same regardless of the price point.
somebol
Nzastrix

Understand that. But what is the difference between $2100 and $3000 build. What do you get for the extra $1000. Is it only fittings & finishings? The internals (frame, trusses etc) would be the same regardless of the price point.

The biggest thing I see is the service - these are more boutique builders - every detail is walked through with you, paint consultant, interior design consultant and everything is always allowance based so you go and choose whatever you want.

These builders are usually doing 10/15 projects in a year so really involved in the whole process personally.
We built a house in Canberra in 2006. The house is about 30 squares plus a separate large carport. All up cost back then was about 720k, including architects fees. The house is a reverse brick with a higher standard than average fittings, and built on a flat concrete platform over a fall of about which had a fall of about 1.2 metre. The cost also covered retaining walls to enable the house to be built without internal steps.

We are about to build in Sydney with GJ Gardner. The house is about 255 sq metres including porch, al fresco and double garage. Slope across the build footprint is about 1.4 metres utilised by having a double garage under a raised lounge/dining room. Rest of the house is on one level. The house is a brick/cladding job with standard inclusions for the most part. Cost is $540k and does not cover driveway or landscaping, although it does cover an small external stairway from garage to front door.

Hope this puts it into perspective.
John
I afraid $2100 is now pretty standard for a decent builder in Canberra for average quality inclusions, anything less than that you would be looking at a rookie builder.

$3000 can afford you a premium custom builder in Canberra , as Nzastrix mentioned. However, this does not translate to high end inclusions automatically. Perhaps above average inclusions as part of their standard inclusions, but I guess you are mostly paying that premium for their experience, attention to detail, and included services (like interior designer). Even with that rate, if you choose to go, let's say, all Miele appliances, you will have to pickup the difference. People normally go with this type of builders, if they are building unique, and architecturally complex projects - where they can take the comfort that these premium companies have done such works before and they have the know-how on sourcing exotic materials and implementing unusual designs.

For not so dramatic build (like yours from what I can see), it make sense go for a mid-range custom builder, in which case I think you could have a quality build with premium inclusions for about $2300-$2500. I am no expert, but I have done my build couple of years back and I can see how the prices have gone up recently. I suggest you have a good hard look at anyone offering less than $2000, as the allowances for items in their quote will most probably be under estimated, and you will have cost blowouts during the build - that's the worst thing ever!

Unfortunately, by Canberra standards, your build size is enormous! that itself will send out some price signals to builders; although I understand these sizes may be ordinary in SYD/MEL market.

Canberra is bloody expensive - and that's that.
ligongl
$3000 can afford you a premium custom builder in Canberra , as Nzastrix mentioned. However, this does not translate to high end inclusions automatically.

Thats the part that bugs me the most. If you are charging top dollar, at least include high end inclusions. What is the point spending that much and having to top up again.

Looks like ~$2100 is the new normal for mid-spec homes.
We're starting to build which is costing us about 1800/sqm for 280sqm under the roof single storey, but larger alfresco and garrage than normal.
Some upgrades, like high ceiling, fancy skylight windows, doubleglazing and various other smaller upgrades totaling about 12k.

We had tenders wtih 2 builders (both well know companies in Canberra) and both were close-ish to eachother on price.
anthonywr79
We're starting to build which is costing us about 1800/sqm for 280sqm under the roof single storey, but larger alfresco and garrage than normal.
Some upgrades, like high ceiling, fancy skylight windows, doubleglazing and various other smaller upgrades totaling about 12k.

We had tenders wtih 2 builders (both well know companies in Canberra) and both were close-ish to eachother on price.

are you able to tell me who the builders are?
somebol
anyone?

HI how much did you pay for the architect's plan?
anthonywr79

Can you please let us know who the builders are?
Hello, Im starting to look at builders in Canberra . . . .what ones are not expensive but still do a good job.
ligongl
I afraid $2100 is now pretty standard for a decent builder in Canberra for average quality inclusions, anything less than that you would be looking at a rookie builder.

$3000 can afford you a premium custom builder in Canberra , as Nzastrix mentioned. However, this does not translate to high end inclusions automatically. Perhaps above average inclusions as part of their standard inclusions, but I guess you are mostly paying that premium for their experience, attention to detail, and included services (like interior designer). Even with that rate, if you choose to go, let's say, all Miele appliances, you will have to pickup the difference. People normally go with this type of builders, if they are building unique, and architecturally complex projects - where they can take the comfort that these premium companies have done such works before and they have the know-how on sourcing exotic materials and implementing unusual designs.

For not so dramatic build (like yours from what I can see), it make sense go for a mid-range custom builder, in which case I think you could have a quality build with premium inclusions for about $2300-$2500. I am no expert, but I have done my build couple of years back and I can see how the prices have gone up recently. I suggest you have a good hard look at anyone offering less than $2000, as the allowances for items in their quote will most probably be under estimated, and you will have cost blowouts during the build - that's the worst thing ever!

Unfortunately, by Canberra standards, your build size is enormous! that itself will send out some price signals to builders; although I understand these sizes may be ordinary in SYD/MEL market.

Canberra is bloody expensive - and that's that.

Hello - what builders are building for around $2k per sq mtr.
A lot has changed since my comment Jack, not sure those figures are relevant anymore, hopefully someone with latest info will reply with some builder contacts.
We started our build in 2021, but even then I think our prices are way out now.

I built with ABM Homes in Canberra, we built our smaller 4 bedroom house around 240sqm for $425,000. They have alot of the things other people charge extra for as standard. Double glazed windows, 40mm stone benchtops for kitchen, 2.7m high ceilings etc all included. My Mum built around the same time with GJ and you can defiantly tell where they skimped on things as she didn't get any of those included. She didn't even get LED downlights which I thought everyone was doing these days.

Only thing not included was retaining walls and landscaping etc, though driveway was.

I think now it will be impossible to get something under $2000/sqm anymore, and if it is I don't know if you would actually want to go with them. I would be curious how much ABM would charge at today's prices though.
Hello. Does the 240 sqm include the external areas? Just want to check if our build amount is still reasonable. Our builder has charged us for most price increases and we ended up having to pay $368k for 209 sqm GFA + 59 sqm external split level home. Thank you.
MrSober
We started our build in 2021, but even then I think our prices are way out now.

I built with ABM Homes in Canberra, we built our smaller 4 bedroom house around 240sqm for $425,000. They have alot of the things other people charge extra for as standard. Double glazed windows, 40mm stone benchtops for kitchen, 2.7m high ceilings etc all included. My Mum built around the same time with GJ and you can defiantly tell where they skimped on things as she didn't get any of those included. She didn't even get LED downlights which I thought everyone was doing these days.

Only thing not included was retaining walls and landscaping etc, though driveway was.

I think now it will be impossible to get something under $2000/sqm anymore, and if it is I don't know if you would actually want to go with them. I would be curious how much ABM would charge at today's prices though.

Hello. Does the 240 sqm include the external areas? Just want to check if our build amount is still reasonable. Our builder has charged us for most price increases and we ended up having to pay $368k for 209 sqm GFA + 59 sqm external split level home. Thank you.
Sorry didn't see the reply,

So going by the plans, 228.82sqm GFA + 18.40sqm for alfresco etc. Going by that I assume the garage is included in the GFA. with the total being 247.22sqm total built up area.
Related
9/06/2023
Calibrate on Canberra Build Price June 2023

Building A New House

Wow I hadn't realised things had gotten that pricey in just a couple of years since I built, that is crazy with how much land is now costing if you aren't lucky enough to…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum