Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Internal doors- lintels required?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are currently building a reverse brick veneer single story house, with a project builder. The external material is an axon cladding and the internal wall is your standard internal utility verticlay brick. We are almost finished brick stage.
My husband and I were looking at he house last night and could see that the internal doors didn't have steel lintels above them. From what we can see without going through, all the wider openings (that don't have doors) and all the windows have lintels but the 920mm and 820mm doors don't have a lintel above them, the brick sits right on the frame. Is this standard with project builders, or should every door and window have a lintel to support the brick work?

Thank you!
Try putting up a photo, the better the photo the better the answer + it also helps others
Good idea. These are the photos I could get. The first photo is the internal door between the hallway and the garage which is 920mm. It looks like it still needs more brick work done.

The second photo is a 920mm door and shows how the brick sits right on the door frame/jamb.

Thanks,

That's fine, As you can see brick lintels ( have rods inserted) are used over openings, 3c min of bonded bricks over, embedded rods/reinforcement would have been additional if required
Thanks for the photos
Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply, and help as always!

I think I understand what you are saying (sorry, I'm a complete and utter building novice), and that these photos show that the brick/metal frame are fine as they are.

Thanks,

Kelsey
Yes the metal frame is designed to support the bricks over
Good idea to take photos over all the door frames for the record
Thank you
Related
3/02/2024
Flush Internal Doors

General Discussion

Okay, then the choice is really about the build quality of the door itself which means the brand name. Sorry I can't recommend one or the other so best to rely on comments…

27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

2/01/2024
Please advice, are roof flashings required at the end of the

General Discussion

Minimum overhang into gutter must be 50mm, turn down tool should not split the sheet. it seems wrong tool for the profile was used, the flashing cannot slope back. Rib…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum