Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Green/Sustainable/Passive Home Builders - Sydney

Page 1 of 1
G'day!

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while and thought it time to ask for some advice.

We're in the Parramatta area and looking to do a KDR - we have a corner block that faces south and west, with a north-facing backyard, about 450sqm. We would like to custom design a new house build with passive design principles and sustainability in mind. I've been studying Yourhome.gov to learn about some of these building principles and we've put together a rough floor plan.

Can anyone recommend builders in Sydney that have experience with sustainable/passive builds? I have found some but want to make sure I haven't missed any good options.

-ANSA
-Marvel
-GHA
-Your Abode

I would also love to hear from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks in advance!
SMM
Have you looked at the ATA's (AKA Renew) Sanctuary magazine?
I am aware of them, haven't seen one yet. Can you get them at the newsagent? I'll try to get hold of one next time I'm out.
Newsagents have them, it is a quarterly magazine that highlights sustainable and environmentally friendly design.

I have dealt with an Adelaide company that is a zero carbon builder, perhaps search those keywords for your area.

There are a few H1 members who are very knowledgeable about passive designs, a forum search using the appropriate keywords will also bring up past posts.

I commend you for your intentions but also consider future trends, both social and climatic, in the overall design.
SaveH2O
I commend you for your intentions but also consider future trends, both social and climatic, in the overall design.

Thanks, I will, and if you have any specific thoughts about that or examples I'd be interested to know as well. Yourhome.gov makes comments about building for future climatic trends too.

Managed to get a hold of Sanctuary magazine today, it looks interesting.
You need to consider the Urban Heat Island Effect and also much stronger winds. A warming Antarctic is weakening the pressure gradient between the South Pole and the Equator, drawing the South Polar jet streams northward and tropical weather systems southward which is altering our weather patterns. As a reminder, look at what happened to the roof of the then new Kurnell desalination plant a few years ago! 2020 was a watershed year in the annals of human history, the next will be around 2026.

No gas, only electricity!

EV charge points.

Design depends on your own circumstances but having two master bedrooms should be strongly considered for a stay at home adult kid (28 is the new 18) a guest or resident parent.

Having a largish front room that can serve as a work from home and client meeting room is better than having a bedroom metres away from the footpath. If there is no immediate need, it can serve other uses.

Having a good size sealed work room separated from the garage is good for a number of reasons depending on the work, hobby or even storage needs and if the garage isn't under the house roof line, parapet walls allow the roof to be designed to serve as a private open area.

We are living through a time of massive disruption and we all need to be aware of outside developments that will alter our lives in many ways.
Sylvester McMonkey McBean
SaveH2O

Thanks, I will, and if you have any specific thoughts about that or examples I'd be interested to know as well. Yourhome.gov makes comments about building for future climatic trends too.

Managed to get a hold of Sanctuary magazine today, it looks interesting.

Hey Mate - just curious if you were able to narrow down on a sustainable home builder ? And also whether you got a rough idea of cost per sq m at all ?
Related
8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

5/02/2024
Pool Builders, in and around The Hills Greater Sydney

Building A New House

Thanks again Simeon for being so elaborate. Appreciate it. Its gives us a very idea. Kind Regards

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum