Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sliding door, stacker door size

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, been lurking on the forum for a while to research for my new built. Im currently doing a custom duplex design with my sister for us to live next to each other.

The width of our living area is 6.8m. We want at least 4.7m sliding door or stacking door opening to the afresco. My draftsman have put in a 3.6m door which I feel is too small. I have contacted one builder who said they can go up to 4.2m sliding. But have seen some companies make up to 5m doors as standard.

My question is whether anyone knows how big can you get the door before requiring extra steel beam support.

Also anyone have an indicative of cost difference including installations. The builders wont give me a straight answer. I guess its because Im still designing stage but want to get it right.

I could ask my draftsman this on Monday, but do you think I can put 5m in my plan and when its time to get quotes and it turns out to be crazy expensive I can reduce the size down. Or will I have to resubmit my plans to the council?
I'm putting a 6m stacker in my new build.

Cost 5.5k less the sliding door and windows I was credited.

No extra support is better added, only single story though so a two story building might be different.

Got quotes for a 9m stacker at 16k and decided against spending 10k more for 3 extra metres.

I'd also check the panel sizes some 6 metre doors were 4 panel which looks nicer but you only get a 3m opening, I went with a 6 panel door, 2 extra frames but I get a 4m opening.
Spazzen

No extra support is better added, only single story though so a two story building might be different.

Got quotes for a 9m stacker at 16k and decided against spending 10k more for 3 extra metres.

I'd also check the panel sizes some 6 metre doors were 4 panel which looks nicer but you only get a 3m opening, I went with a 6 panel door, 2 extra frames but I get a 4m opening.

5.5k is very reasonable. I think I will go ahead and put a 5m door in. I think it will be something I will regret not doing later on.

Thanks for the reply
Spazzen

Our opening is 7m. 2 panels that slide back to a 3rd panel at either end (ie. 6 panels in total). Have paid an extra 5k on top of the standard doors. Already had beams in place due to supporting the 2nd level so no extra cost there. 100% worth it from a lifestyle and resale perspective.
A 6m wide is a standard biparting stacker - 4 active panels and 2 fixed. The extrusions are manufactured as 6m standard,

The height is also important.

We could make 7.2m wide... just have not done it yet.
Related
11/10/2023
Stacker door thresholds

Windows & Doors

Sure looks like the type of track that I fitted to my house. My supplier said that the underside has a tray which drains to the front. They cut vertical slots in it. So as…

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum