Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New duplex build - GJ Gardner

Page 1 of 1
Hi all!

We are first time builders and are building a 440sqm double-storey duplex in south west Sydney with GJ Gardner.

I've just received the first tender with pricing for all the upgrades we discussed, though I know my budget won't be able to accommodate them all.

Do these prices seem reasonable? If not would you recommend sourcing any of these externally? I'm not a handyperson and can't really do anything myself.

FRAMING AND ROOF
• Upgrade to Boral Concrete Roof tiles in Macquarie, Slimline and Contour Profiles $2,250.00

FACADE, EXTERNAL WALLS AND CEILING FINISHES
• Sisalation Wall Wrap to external brick walls $2,256.00

WINDOWS, EXTERNAL DOORS AND SCREENS
• Security Screen door to family room alfresco x2 $7,346.00
• Security Screen door to Front door x2 $2,603.00

INTERNAL LININGS, TRIMS AND PAINTING
• S&I R2.0 Acoustic to garage ceilings $303.00

INTERNAL DOORS, ROBES, LINEN AND BROOM CUPBOARD
• Upgrade 2x Door Robe Doors to Mirror Sliding Doors - 2040mm (H) to beds 4 downstairs for both units $898.00
• Upgrade 3x Door Robe Doors to Mirror Sliding Doors - 2040mm (H) to beds 2 and 4 for both units $2,776.00

CABINETRY, FIXTURES and APPLIANCES
• 2x Dishlex 600mm dishwasher DSF6104XA installed $2,197.00 (I already know this dishwasher can be bought for about $500 so this seems to be way too expensive)
- Soft-close hinges on kitchen drawers $1000 each unit
- Laundry - Top and Bottom cupboards with 20mm stone and drop in sink, $2173 each unit

ELECTRICAL
• Electrical Allowance $10,000.00 $10,000.00
• 4x Air Conditioning split system 2.8kw supply and install $12,650.00 or
• 2x Actron Series 2 15kw Ducted Air Con with 2x zones 2x wall controllers and 10x circular outlets $19,987.00

TILING AND FLOOR COVERINGS - MAIN FLOOR
• Hybrid Flooring to main floors Excluding downstairs bedroom $2,530.00
• Hybrid Flooring to all bedrooms including fist floor, stairs and matching bullnose nosing to stairs $13,929.00

EXTERNAL CONCRETE AND MISCELLANEOUS
• Add 2x Custom Bottom cupboards with 20mm Stone to Alfresco's $3,586.00
- Add 2x Alfresco Sink: Everhard Single Bowl Undermount Sink 73178 with IVY Mk2 Sink Mixer (includes hot and cold water points and drainage point for sink) $1,412.00
• 2x Driveway with Colour on top 42m2 Allowance: Does not include any council asset removal or restoration. Council driveway fees not include. Plain concrete to council crossover as per council requirements $12,073.00
• Front Fence Allowance $16,500.00 (fence to be confirmed with design and council requirements)

Appreciate the help!
Hey an3035 Welcome to the forum
As you have highlighted prices can easily be checked on the internet.
You'll find things that can be added in after handover are miles cheaper.
Unfortunately taking things out, while the prices are going up, creates other issues.
The biggest problem is builders keep the profit while crediting back the bare minimum.
While there are items that can't be added in later, Blah, Blah, blah. ie Structural upgrades. etc.
OT, why are prices skyrocketing...builders need to offset other unforeseen increases at least 6 months in advance.
What was standard in Perth last year, eg, 80K Kitchen and appliance upgrades included , brick suppliers sale 35-40% discounts, etc,etc ..now all gone
Cheers
Chris
an3035
Hi all!

We are first time builders and are building a 440sqm double-storey duplex in south west Sydney with GJ Gardner.

I've just received the first tender with pricing for all the upgrades we discussed, though I know my budget won't be able to accommodate them all.

Do these prices seem reasonable? If not would you recommend sourcing any of these externally? I'm not a handyperson and can't really do anything myself.

FRAMING AND ROOF
• Upgrade to Boral Concrete Roof tiles in Macquarie, Slimline and Contour Profiles $2,250.00

FACADE, EXTERNAL WALLS AND CEILING FINISHES
• Sisalation Wall Wrap to external brick walls $2,256.00

WINDOWS, EXTERNAL DOORS AND SCREENS
• Security Screen door to family room alfresco x2 $7,346.00
• Security Screen door to Front door x2 $2,603.00

INTERNAL LININGS, TRIMS AND PAINTING
• S&I R2.0 Acoustic to garage ceilings $303.00

INTERNAL DOORS, ROBES, LINEN AND BROOM CUPBOARD
• Upgrade 2x Door Robe Doors to Mirror Sliding Doors - 2040mm (H) to beds 4 downstairs for both units $898.00
• Upgrade 3x Door Robe Doors to Mirror Sliding Doors - 2040mm (H) to beds 2 and 4 for both units $2,776.00

CABINETRY, FIXTURES and APPLIANCES
• 2x Dishlex 600mm dishwasher DSF6104XA installed $2,197.00 (I already know this dishwasher can be bought for about $500 so this seems to be way too expensive)
- Soft-close hinges on kitchen drawers $1000 each unit
- Laundry - Top and Bottom cupboards with 20mm stone and drop in sink, $2173 each unit

ELECTRICAL
• Electrical Allowance $10,000.00 $10,000.00
• 4x Air Conditioning split system 2.8kw supply and install $12,650.00 or
• 2x Actron Series 2 15kw Ducted Air Con with 2x zones 2x wall controllers and 10x circular outlets $19,987.00

TILING AND FLOOR COVERINGS - MAIN FLOOR
• Hybrid Flooring to main floors Excluding downstairs bedroom $2,530.00
• Hybrid Flooring to all bedrooms including fist floor, stairs and matching bullnose nosing to stairs $13,929.00

EXTERNAL CONCRETE AND MISCELLANEOUS
• Add 2x Custom Bottom cupboards with 20mm Stone to Alfresco's $3,586.00
- Add 2x Alfresco Sink: Everhard Single Bowl Undermount Sink 73178 with IVY Mk2 Sink Mixer (includes hot and cold water points and drainage point for sink) $1,412.00
• 2x Driveway with Colour on top 42m2 Allowance: Does not include any council asset removal or restoration. Council driveway fees not include. Plain concrete to council crossover as per council requirements $12,073.00
• Front Fence Allowance $16,500.00 (fence to be confirmed with design and council requirements)

Appreciate the help!

Hi An3035

We are building several duplexes at the moment so I have a pretty good handle on costs, and I would like to help guide you with what is fair and what is not.

I was reading through the list and the first few items seemed fine and then I started noticing a blowout in costs for a few items ( air conditioning for instance we just purchased a 15.8kw Fujitsu system for $11,230), and then some of the items needed more information, such as the hybrid flooring ie how many square meters.

And lastly, there are so many items listed its very hard to respond to each in this forum. Can you email me a word version of this list to simeon@ashingtonhomes.com.au and I will respond to each item for you. I am on the road all day today but I can get it done for you tomorrow.

Any information like floor areas and stuff will make my job so much easier

cheers & happy Friday

Simeon
Related
6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum