Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Internal Door to garage (size)

Page 1 of 1
Just realised that we might have an potential issue with furniture into our new house once built. We have standard 820 front door width and no side access on garage side of house. Other side has 1200 (ish) to the rear where we have sliding door access in the alfresco. Ideally I want to avoid having to go all the way down the side to move big items in.

Was thinking we might change the internal garage door to the hallway to be a double door so to open up bigger we'd open both doors giving us essentially 1600 wide access. Most times one door would be bolted closed to floor. I don't know :

A. Is there a law preventing a double door to a garage from inside the house
B. what it would look like with a double door (would it look odd ?)

We would be okay for the initial move in to move stuff down the side as we're likely to not have a fence/neighbour but for future movement of furniture it could be a pain.

We don't have a door at the rear of the garage to the backyard by the way
Removalists are paid by the hour
Make sure the front door is big enough.

Once had an issue with a freedom furniture couch (Aussie made) was too long to get through the internal door and turn up the hallway. Luckily it has a metal frame bolted together so I just pulled it apart.
Thanks - yes we have no option to go wider than 820 - its a small entry.
Related
20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum