Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Valuable things to watch after 5 years in new a Metricon

Page 1 of 1
Hello
We built a Barkly29 5-6 years ago and after living in it for nearly 6 years we thought it would be good to do a list of things that have gone wrong with the house to save the headache for other people as the chances are that these issues could well come up for most, some of course could be due to a sloppy installer but not all.This was the build,

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=76055

Overall we love our home and are glad we chose Metricon. the following is not a warning but just things to watch at build time and things to pay attention to while it's still under warranty,
The first thing we had go was after just a few weeks, a panel of plasterboard on our bedroom wall was not glued to the steel framing adequately and banged around at night as it was the bedhead side of room, this needed re screwing plastering and painting which caused no end of frustration and several arguments with Metricon as the paint job left target patterns on the wall, it was finally fixed on 3rd go with no issues since.
The next thing we had was inadequate insulation around the ducted AC vents in the house, in areas we have the AC on a lot as we work from home he had overflow in the lip which caused bad blistering around the vent and paint to fall off for around 70mm out from vent, this we have not had fixed but the AC installers came and wrapped the vent chute further up to minimise the problem, keep in mind we got a light colored roof to minimise heat in attic and maximize effect of AC.
The biggest problem with this house was the kitchen appliances, DO NOT GET TECHNIKA we had replaced every appliance by the 3rd year!! the range hood was the first .then the oven and then the dishwasher, we got a luxury kitchen but nothing luxury about the appliances.
The cooktop is still in but missing mounts that fall through into inside.Then we have to mention a problem we are still living with, really poorly installed door handles and hinges, within 2 years we were having to replace the door handles as they were missing screws in most mounts and hinges were stripping out as they had used 3/4 screws, not long enough really, I am a joiner by trade and it was not good.
When you have your inspection pay attention to these hidden things and check it all as it's not checked by them, the pre-hand over check is largely visual and they don't pull off covers and check screws or go into roof to check on insulation.
The last thing I would watch is the drainage points in the lawn ours were too low and not enough pipe left to have them flush.
One thing I would like to call out is windows, A&L joinery windows and doors are crazy awesome, they are so sound proof it's almost like double glazing and if you are living in small block areas like us where you are surrounded by other builders homes who don't put Batts in the walls you are going to wish you had sprigged for those Batts and windows.
If you can afford to get double glazing do it, as so many of these homes are rentals and as a result not as much is spent on them at build time and the issue of noise is a real problem, it's worth the extra cost long term, the stress is not worth it if you don't, in fact I think it should be mandatory in these small blocks.
We put in double glazing in just a couple of places as have a sound proof workshop and wanted to stop my noise affecting others but it works both ways.
Lastly if you get steel framing when the house is being built have a chat to the framer or Metricon and have ANY potential mount areas fitted with plywood panels for fixing, this includes in our experience TVs. we had mount panels of 16mm ply fitted in every room just in case and now have mounted TVs in every room on the walls.another place is the laundry in case you need to hang appliances or cabinets or both, we also had to hang curtain rails and did not think of that so put wood above any potential doors or windows where you might want curtains or blinds.
We spoke to the builder and slipped him a few hundred cash to get this done.

Hope this helps to make your home better and gives some ideas that help later.
RichardHDunn
We spoke to the builder and slipped him a few hundred cash to get this done.

Stop Clipping the ticket
Ethical individuals and battlers see a problem with having to pay for extra$ ie, items that are normally included.
I can't tell you how many times during a structural inspection, after the trades moved off the job. I've used my nailgun, grabbed a waste piece of stud and put in an extra noggin....at no extra charge. If some Builders would stop screwing down the tradies prices and putting time constraints for completion, show some loyalty, provide trades with the correct details/engineering,etc,etc we won't have this problem.
It is no wonder that Housing prices are increasing and standards decreasing.
Bad news for builders, tradies have doubled their rates thanks to the ill thought out Government Home builders grant...
Had a chuckle the other day when a chippy on site told a construction manager from another building company " Buy Nailguns for the sales team ..."
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

11/09/2023
New Construction variations after completing works

Building A New House

I can help you with all that, you can PM me with details if you wish

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum