Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Evoke (Modified) Kingston Build - 2020/2021/20

Page 4 of 4
Wellbuild
Upgrades:

• Upgrades to insulation throughout - 7+ star energy rating to access Bank Australia Clean Energy mortgage rate reductions
  • Corner stacker door - recessed
  • Double glaze corner stacker and laundry doors
  • Made by Storey Sesame flooring
  • C4 facade
  • Added guest bedroom to GF and shower to bathroom
  • Heat pump hot water system instead of standard solar gas
  • Gas removed from house entirely
  • Cavity door for study
  • Square set on GF
  • S2 kitchen with S4 island option (Georgian Bluffs) and S3 fridge (integrated with bar)
  • Bosch appliances - induction cooktop, double oven
  • Approx $15k upgrades to electrical
  • Approx $17k upgrade to HVAC - Daikin four zone unit
  • Brushed chrome tapware
  • Convert WIL on ground to wine cellar (post handover)

Other things post handover:

• 8kw solar system
  • Rainwater tank
  • Some featured wall lighting
  • Joinery in lounge, study, activity
  • Wifi extenders
  • Air and water filtration system

Looking back, we would've / should've done, but didn't:

• Increase ground ceiling height to 3m
  • Include sound insulation to master bedroom and guest
  • Include a steam oven
  • Include a pool
  • Upgrade carpet to S4 range (ours is S2)

How is your build progressing?
We are also looking to convert our WIL (under the stairs) to a wine cellar as well, but it looks to be much smaller than yours (probably 1.8m x 1.8m). How many bottles are you planning to store and what kind of cost did you budget for? We actually don't drink a lot of wine but like the look of cellar with a glass panel door. Are there any provisions you recommend we look into?
annakoh
We are also looking to convert our WIL (under the stairs) to a wine cellar as well, but it looks to be much smaller than yours (probably 1.8m x 1.8m). How many bottles are you planning to store and what kind of cost did you budget for? We actually don't drink a lot of wine but like the look of cellar with a glass panel door. Are there any provisions you recommend we look into?

Initially we had a similar size (1.5m x 1.8m). Depending on the configuration, we were looking at 650 - 800 bottles. The budget was approx $9-10k plus $3k for the custom made steel door (double glazed argon filled) with lock and handle.
We've asked for a wine cellar/cupboard as an option, if it makes sense in the floorplan. Thanks for the lead on the Vine company, we'll reach out to them if we decide to do that. Same as above, not huge wine drinkers, but looking to build value into the home for future sale
I wanted to change the door location so that the glass door was seen through the hallway on the way to the kitchen - more of a statement location. My partner did not want this. So it's now somewhat hidden next to the laundry!
How are you going with Darbecca as your inspector? they have TA as one of the builders they seem to have concerns about:

https://www.darbecca.com.au/which-builder-.html
theotherengineer
How are you going with Darbecca as your inspector? they have TA as one of the builders they to have concerns about:

https://www.darbecca.com.au/which-builder-.html

Hmm interesting. I can’t imagine TA would be happy being on that list, and it will be interesting to have a conversation with TA about it sooner than later (tender still a couple of months away for us).
I wonder if there’s other building inspectors they don’t mind and it’s just Darbecca that have annoyed TA along the way, or if they refuse to deal with any inspectors. It actually doesn’t specify what they don’t like about TA, it lists a heap of things and then a heap of builders so it’s probably not all of the issues, could be just one, but which one?
Also the way it’s written it sounds like Darbecca are trying to scare people into using their services, or at least trying to create distrust between builders and their clients, so you could also see why TA and some other builders don’t want to deal with them.
It will be good to hear from people with experience in this, mostly what I have heard until now has been pretty good.
Plus I’ve never heard anything bad in this forum about TA, only ever minor issues that seemed to be resolved, everyone seems extremely happy with the finished product.
hey Wellbuild

Drove past your site this morning. Looking amazing despite this current "construction glitch" in Melbourne. Has TA communicated with you what they can/can't do, and when progress will continue? Geez your site costs really did blow out in the end hey!

Love Love Love the C4 facade!
Hi blacktea2sugars - things are progressing nicely thanks! We're on the home run to settlement and I had my first walkthrough in AGES just this morning (will upload photos).

I still can't get over the site costs - especially when I think they actually used traffic management only once or twice in the end (and are charging us $18k for it) - but seeing a soon to be finished house definitely helps ease some of the pent up frustration. Our SS has been good and we get along well - that also helps.

Floors went in yesterday - to be finished on Monday - carpet and shower screens next week. A couple of minor issues here and there - but things are looking good.

Nice!

You have the same double shower heads in your master as we do I think. Robes are the same too, great choices!

Is it worth asking for a rebate on site costs, or at least the traffic management portion? Just a thought.
Your pics look great wellbuild! Almost reaching the finishing line now
can I pls ask if your wardrobes are the standard inclusions or did you add extra to it?

Wellbuild
Hi blacktea2sugars - things are progressing nicely thanks! We're on the home run to settlement and I had my first walkthrough in AGES just this morning (will upload photos).

I still can't get over the site costs - especially when I think they actually used traffic management only once or twice in the end (and are charging us $18k for it) - but seeing a soon to be finished house definitely helps ease some of the pent up frustration. Our SS has been good and we get along well - that also helps.

Floors went in yesterday - to be finished on Monday - carpet and shower screens next week. A couple of minor issues here and there - but things are looking good.
Wardrobes are standard. We only have those drawers (one set) in our main WIR. All the other bedrooms just have the hangers.

This was a mistake. We should've done two sets of drawers in our main WIR and at least one set in each other bedroom. We were guided by TA and budget but in hindsight this was a poor choice.

We'll need to address this post handover.
Wellbuild
Wardrobes are standard. We only have those drawers (one set) in our main WIR. All the other bedrooms just have the hangers.

This was a mistake. We should've done two sets of drawers in our main WIR and at least one set in each other bedroom. We were guided by TA and budget but in hindsight this was a poor choice.

How's your build going?
maverick123
Wellbuild

How's your build going?

^^?
maverick123
Wellbuild

How's your build going?

^^?
Wellbuild also keen to know how it's all going!
Would love to see any progress pics to see how it is turning out / turned out
Related
2/10/2023
Carter Grange vs. Thomas Archer

Building A New House

We spent close to 2 years in a process with TA. It was horrible..... we got to tender, and the first cut was 50% over our budget which "they care such about meeting ". We…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum