Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build, Pool concreting pics 2/4/2024

Page 6 of 6
KnockItDown
Ideally the pool shell should have been done and then covered before the build. I'm fortunate enough to have 2.4m wide side access down the left hand side of the house.

The pool excavation was going great until we hit an old septic tank. Had to arrange for a separate skip to dispose of it. After that is was smooth sailing with the dig, steel fixing, and plumbing now complete. Concrete booked for this coming Tuesday, 2/4/24.

Wow! That is very exciting for you! May I ask, in preparation for the pool - when you were initially designing the house etc, what extra work did you need to do in relation to engineering, soil tests etc, knowing your pool was going to be positioned right next to the house? We want the same thing 🙂 (only in research phase currently).

mofflepop - We had to add 8 extra reinforced piers to the plan along the 2 main edges of the house slab in relation to the pool.

Cost wise was not a lot extra. Just had to bore the holes and add the steel and extra concrete.

I luv the smell of fresh wet concrete in the morning.

The guys did a great job. Got it done a few hours before a spinkle of rain came thru, which is actually good for a fresh pour.

KnockItDown
@mofflepop - We had to add 8 extra reinforced piers to the plan along the 2 main edges of the house slab in relation to the pool.

Cost wise was not a lot extra. Just had to bore the holes and add the steel and extra concrete.

Thank you! Very interesting
Thanks for sharing!
Knockitdown

Firstly congrats on the progress.

I normally wouldn't say anything negative but there are a few things about the way your pool has been built that concern me, so I hope you don't get too offended if I point them out as it might help educate others who are embarking on a pool build.

Here goes:

1. In the photos you have posted, I believe that the hydrostatic valve has been installed incorrectly. It is meant to be recessed in a hole generally around 400mm deep below the pool and surrounded in blue metal so groundwater can drain down into it.

2. i don't like how the pool base sits directly on rock. The best way is to put a base of blue metal under the pool to allow the ground water to drain.

3. I also don't like how they are pouring the piers and the pool in the same pour. Normally the piers are done first as it is a different concrete mix to the mix that is used for shotcreting.

4. There doesn't seem to be any expansion joints between the retaining wall and the house and the pool coping

5. Lastly, I really don't like how the pool shell and the coping are poured as one. I haven't seen your engineers plans and he may have approved, but typically you want the pool to be disconnected from the coping and have an expansion joint so it can have some movement.

Again, your engineer may be happy with this method but it looks a bit unusual.

Here are some highlighted photos:

All good, no issue with your comments.

There is a drain pot for the HSV. The pic I took before the pour shows a hose coming out of the pot which is a submersible pump as we had some rain before the pour. This is the loacation of the HSV.

There is a layer of gravel under the sheet of builders plastic on the floor of the pool.

There is an expansion joint around the perimeter of the pool coping. Its a bit hard to see as it's obscured by the black plastic they used to protect the brickwork. After the pour, they remvoved the plastic from the windows and then cut it along the finish height of the concrete. I can assure you there is expansion joint in place. I watched them install it.

After steel fixing was completed the Cerifier and the Engineer both attened site and inspected the job. I asked the engineer about the coping on the far side of the pool. Response was the the job was done to his specifications as detailed in his engineering plans.

I didn't ask about concreting the piers separately - I'll ask the pool contractor - Granted there isnt a great deal that can be done about that now.

Thanks for your feedback. Negative is not always a bad thing.
KnockItDown
All good, no issue with your comments.

There is a drain pot for the HSV. The pic I took before the pour shows a hose coming out of the pot which is a submersible pump as we had some rain before the pour. This is the loacation of the HSV.

There is a layer of gravel under the sheet of builders plastic on the floor of the pool.

There is an expansion joint around the perimeter of the pool coping. Its a bit hard to see as it's obscured by the black plastic they used to protect the brickwork. After the pour, they remvoved the plastic from the windows and then cut it along the finish height of the concrete. I can assure you there is expansion joint in place. I watched them install it.

After steel fixing was completed the Cerifier and the Engineer both attened site and inspected the job. I asked the engineer about the coping on the far side of the pool. Response was the the job was done to his specifications as detailed in his engineering plans.

I didn't ask about concreting the piers separately - I'll ask the pool contractor - Granted there isnt a great deal that can be done about that now.

Thanks for your feedback. Negative is not always a bad thing.

The main thing is your engineers signed off on it so my opinion doesnt matter

So happy it's worked out and looks amazing
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

23/04/2024
NCC Changes Coming 1 May 2024

Building A New House

I engaged my builder in December last year and we’ve been working on preliminary drawings for last couple of months. I got a call from the salesperson this morning…

29/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

For our new build in NSW we opted for a heat pump with a 315L storage tank. Early days yet as we only moved in 6 weeks ago. Haven't run out out of hot water though. Ours…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum