Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Cost of adding an ensuite to a new build.

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of adding an ensuite to one of the minor bedrooms in our house. But first of all I have to figure out if it's realistically in the budget before I bother the builder with it.

So what would the rough cost of adding an ensuite to a build be? Just basic shower, toilet, basin set up?

Any guesstimates?

Jo
If properly priced, I would say $7k.
Hi Jo

When I was getting quotes from M, I wanted to add a spa in the ensuite as there was only a standard size shower, toilet and sink. M gave me a quote of $4200 for the spa, because they had to change the ensuite around abit, meaning a bigger shower as well and a bigger window. The bath option was $2400, if we didnt want the spa. So i would think that to have a full ensuite, it would be more close to around the 10k mark?

But I would only be guessing here.
We have been down this track with 4 different builders and they all were $5,000.
We were going to put a ensuite in our teenagers bedroom so it was a shower, toilet and a small vanity for that price.
I was going to say $4k for a small one. Which room are you thinking? Bed 4 looks like it will be a nice room with outside access.
Rachelle
I was going to say $4k for a small one. Which room are you thinking? Bed 4 looks like it will be a nice room with outside access.

Spot on Rachelle. Bedroom 4 will be the one.
I thought about 8k..... so I think I'll go forward with my proposal. Thanks guys.
Our builder is charging $5k per ensuite - 2m x 2m. From past discussions with other builders they seem to range from $3.5k (Westminster Homes) to around the $5k mark.
Just consider that bathroom are one of the most expensive rooms to create. There's potentially many trades involved. The cost will also be hinging on your selection of tiles, fittings and finishes.

Do you have a timber floor with timber joists or is it a concrete slab? How big is this room that you speak of?
By the sounds of it, if you thought 8K anything less will be a bonus!
KWOOD2
Just consider that bathroom are one of the most expensive rooms to create. There's potentially many trades involved. The cost will also be hinging on your selection of tiles, fittings and finishes.

Do you have a timber floor with timber joists or is it a concrete slab? How big is this room that you speak of?

It will be on a slab... I don't know the size yet. It's not an existing house. I'm talking about adding an ensuite to a bedroom in a house we are planning on building. Just wanted a ballpark guide to see if it's in budget before I hassle the builder with it and have it added.

Looks like it will be worthwhile getting it costed as I think we can squeeze it in the budget.

Thanks everyone for advice and guesstimates.
I got the price back... just under 9k. The room will be approx 1.6m x 3.5m.
With a tiled shower that's 1.6m x 900mm.... a pretty good toilet... (it was an upgrade x 2 with our last builder) and a really large vanity.

It's a bit more than I hoped for.... and we can get the cost down by making the ensuite smaller... but I think we'll go for it.

Jo
ooh ouch! that is a big ensuite though.
Rachelle, it'll be my ensuite... so I'll suck up the price.

Now I just have to figure out what to delete...

Perhaps I should do some type of homeone poll to decide...
I guess if you really want it, just go for it Jo!
Maybe you should start deleting some of the pot drawers that i know you will have!!
Wonderland.... all the pot drawers are standard!
joles
Wonderland.... all the pot drawers are standard!

Well then, you're set!!
How are you going to fit it Jo? Are you going to extend the footprint of hte house?
Rachelle
How are you going to fit it Jo? Are you going to extend the footprint of hte house?

I'm playing around on paint at the moment..... but I will definitely extend the footprint. They said about 6k to put an ensuite in the place of the existing structure but the extra is for the extra floorspace that will be added....

I have to work out priorities....
It's bit more than i expect.But we can reduce the cost down by planning the map.I think it gonna work.
--------------
siva

http://www.sreevyshcorp.in
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum