Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Site cut - advice needed

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

After some advice on site cuts. I've attached a picture below of the cut our developer has done on my block (right) and neighbor's block (left). They only cut the house and garage pad, then the builders will come in and do their work later on. My question is about the divide between the blocks. Obviously, being on a slope we will need retaining walls but surely we should be able to level the divide to avoid us needing them along the whole fence line. It would also reduce the size of the neighbor's wall as well. Not to mention fencing in between would be so much easier. Am I right to be questioning this, as it will also impact the other side of our block where we will need to retain. I'd much, much prefer to have smaller retaining walls or none where possible.

Surely this is common sense or am I missing something here?

Hey smzoc2 Welcome
There are no short cuts on site cuts, the question becomes whether that small cut is a (price) gouge to the wallet when you build. In order to avoid that, start by getting your own contour survey and a rough sketch along with the photos, you might then get a better answer plus it also helps other.
my2c, Consider 3D Engineering Bim Data, Volumes, Visualization, etc,etc
OT, Sloping blocks siteworks are about data points and Soil volumes, retaining systems & engineering.
Unfortunately that photo doesn't give much data info
Site work Costs

BTW , if I was to play out the scenario it would go like this
Site developer " I put the sunken garage where you told me to ...."
New home salesman " Sign a PPA, pay a deposit and we will sort it out later in the office..."
Builder " The engineering retaining cost finally came in and it's more than I expected..."
Engineer " The site and design is not optimal, it would have been better to look at alternate solutions first off"
By the time you get the engineering there's no turning back, you have paid the builder $20K
alternatively, you can walk out and find another salesman and start again but it's groundhog day
Cheers
Chris
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

30/12/2023
Cut metal with a mitre saw?

General Discussion

Fine with me... just let 'em step in with some affordable (but good) gear...

14/03/2024
Cut and filled land

Building A New House

Thanks Craig! This make absolutely sense to me!!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum