Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

I'm Back: Building again in Ballarat

Page 2 of 2
icat2000
zeoko
Yes, Boutique homes are great. I specially liked their upfront pricing and very quick turnaround by the sales. James Belsar has also been very good. We didn't get along well, maybe because as a newbie I have been changing my plans ever so often, but he has been good.

That who I spoke with yesterday. Even though he was really busy we manage to discuss a few plans.

I keep going through the book. I want to try and avoid plan changes if possible. Which plan did you settle on or are you still going through the process?

Sorry couldn't reply earlier. Had a breakdown with DFH over private inspector fees.
With Boutique I was looking at Providence. How did you go with them. I'm looking to get a quote from McMaster too, now that DFH are out of the list as they don't allow private inspectors without me paying $2k. Also, spoke to Twomey today, not sure how they are but seems to be ok to me for now.
Still mulling over BH plan choice and the quote. McMaster still in the mix however, the plan might not work unless we can make some modifications.

This is the plan that works I think from DFH - waiting for quote to see if its a starter. Feel free to point out anything.

How it sits on the block.
zeoko
icat2000
zeoko
Yes, Boutique homes are great. I specially liked their upfront pricing and very quick turnaround by the sales. James Belsar has also been very good. We didn't get along well, maybe because as a newbie I have been changing my plans ever so often, but he has been good.

That who I spoke with yesterday. Even though he was really busy we manage to discuss a few plans.

I keep going through the book. I want to try and avoid plan changes if possible. Which plan did you settle on or are you still going through the process?

Sorry couldn't reply earlier. Had a breakdown with DFH over private inspector fees.
With Boutique I was looking at Providence. How did you go with them. I'm looking to get a quote from McMaster too, now that DFH are out of the list as they don't allow private inspectors without me paying $2k. Also, spoke to Twomey today, not sure how they are but seems to be ok to me for now.

Providence a nice plan. I didnt consider Twoney as I don't like how all their plans have a angler kitchen. Also cuts into theatre room space too.
icat2000
Still mulling over BH plan choice and the quote. McMaster still in the mix however, the plan might not work unless we can make some modifications.

This is the plan that works I think from DFH - waiting for quote to see if its a starter. Feel free to point out anything.

DFH is good and their prices are better than most out there. Is this plan from the Inspirtation or Aspiration? I have seen that if you choose the Aspiration and put in upgrades, it comes out to be more economical than going for Inspiration. Who are you dealing with in DFH? I had to drop them as they were adamant to charge me a fee for engaging a private inspector. You should clarify this if you want to engage one yourself.
icat2000
zeoko

Providence a nice plan. I didnt consider Twoney as I don't like how all their plans have a angler kitchen. Also cuts into theatre room space too.

Yes, Twoney's anglular kitchen looks very awkward. They also have normal house plans too and are willing to be customise before we pay a deposit.
zeoko
icat2000
zeoko

Yes, Twoney's anglular kitchen looks very awkward. They also have normal house plans too and are willing to be customise before we pay a deposit.

Did you check out Hudson Ridge? I think another person in this thread is building with them. I did also sort of start checking out Metricon, but haven't really gone to far as I can't find a plan I like.

I think there is also Hearty Homes and Langdon Homes that I checked out first time around. Hearty Homes was good. But Langdon I didn't care for the sales consultant back in 2017. Very pushy.
I have got a quote from Hearty homes too, but they charge $5k fee if I engage a private inspector. So don't feel like proceeding with them. Metricon also has good plans but their reputation in market is not very good.I have also approached Bryan and Petersen, Jetsonian and thinking to go to Evoke and see how they quote. Hudson Ridge will also now be on list.
icat2000

I like your sitting icat.

Does the plan tick all of your boxes in terms of what irks you about your current house?

Do you plan to re-sell or rent in the future, or is this a long-term home for you? All of these things influence the plan I guess.

As for builders charging so much for independent inspections! How is that allowed? I can see they might charge an admin fee for their time, but other than that the fee amount really should be regulated. It also reeks of having something to hide.
Okay. Long time between posting been busy with work and getting my house build up and running. Have chosen a builder. Will post more information once its all finalised. Been a little bit of delay in plans due the volume of builds happening at the moment, COVID19 in lockdown, out of lockdown, in lockdown, out of lockdown.

But we have titled land so will leap frog others later on who will be waiting for their land to titled.
Looking forward to seeing your plan and build, following along for builds that will be starting soon.
icat2000
Okay. Long time between posting been busy with work and getting my house build up and running. Have chosen a builder. Will post more information once its all finalised. Been a little bit of delay in plans due the volume of builds happening at the moment, COVID19 in lockdown, out of lockdown, in lockdown, out of lockdown.

But we have titled land so will leap frog others later on who will be waiting for their land to titled.

Hi icat, how did you go? Which builder did you choose and how was the process?

Looking forward to seeing how it went for you

Ellie
icat2000
Ourhothambuild
Ballarat has gone gangbusters in the last couple of years. I spoke with Kym from integra and last release sold out in 45min with nearly 30 people missing out (that was for land titling March next 2022)
Who did you build with last time and what are your thoughts with this build?

I went down to Integra as well and they said exactly the same thing about what you mentioned above. People had cued up waiting for release and titles are not until 2022.

We built with Classic Co Homes last time. Were happy with the outcome and had a fairly smooth build process. I was considering them again, however, family members who had friends who also built with them (about year after us I think) had a horrible build and its in dispute. So I can't consider them this time around.

This time around I am seeking quotes from the following builders
- GJ Gardener
- McMasters
- And probably Dennis Family homes.

I asked around people who had built in our Estate what their experiences were like and had all good feedback about three listed above. I had also looked at JG King. But had so many responses of don't build with them from owners in our Estate that I have taken them off the consideration list.

So now I just got to see how the pricing stacks up.

We built with GJ Gardner in Ballarat 9 years ago. Very happy with our build and after 9 years still very happy.
I ended up building with McMaster builders. Nearly finished about 6 weeks until handover. Been pretty smooth process so far.
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

1/01/2024
Back-flow Prevention Valve ?

Building A New House

Good luck with it. I don't know what the cost of a nice bidet seat with a 25mm air gap will be but you are obviously deducting the cost of a RPZ valve and its…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum