Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

North Facing Property

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

This is my first post on HO.
We are planning to get a 4 Bedroom house build on north facing property. There is a trail at the rear side (South) with a bit of a view and a big back yard.
We would like to have living area (including the Kitchen and the Meals Area) facing towards to the trail so that we can enjoy the view while sitting there.
I'm really confused about the orietation of the new build. In some of the posts, I read that ideal is to have the living area towards the North side. But the requirement is in contrary.
Would like to see the suggestions from the experienced peeps out there.
Yes, you have contradicting requirements. However there are things you can do to get the north light into the back of your house. We have exactly the same issue, so we have a courtyard between the front and back of the house. Otherwise you could use skylights or clerestory windows. It really makes all the difference having north light in your living areas. Bear in mind also appropriate shading for summertime. Check out www.yourhome.gov.au, esp the passive design section.
It seems that north is at the front of your property? In which case its not the ideal orientation, you want your back or living areas facing north, if your rear is south, then your front will be north.
Hillsbuilds
Yes, you have contradicting requirements. However there are things you can do to get the north light into the back of your house. We have exactly the same issue, so we have a courtyard between the front and back of the house. Otherwise you could use skylights or clerestory windows. It really makes all the difference having north light in your living areas. Bear in mind also appropriate shading for summertime. Check out http://www.yourhome.gov.au, esp the passive design section.

Thanks for your reply. We have been to the Display Homes and we really liked on the plans from Arden Homes which is Sienna 28. This one has a courtyard in between front and back of the house, as you suggested.
We need to make few changes on this design to our requirements.
Do you have a plan to share?

Cheers!! Vin
gogo65
It seems that north is at the front of your property? In which case its not the ideal orientation, you want your back or living areas facing north, if your rear is south, then your front will be north.

Hi Gogo, Our property is north facing (front to north and rear to south). We would like to have the living areas at the rear (south).
What are your suggestions about the plan?
Vineet Babbar
Hillsbuilds
Yes, you have contradicting requirements. However there are things you can do to get the north light into the back of your house. We have exactly the same issue, so we have a courtyard between the front and back of the house. Otherwise you could use skylights or clerestory windows. It really makes all the difference having north light in your living areas. Bear in mind also appropriate shading for summertime. Check out http://www.yourhome.gov.au, esp the passive design section.

Thanks for your reply. We have been to the Display Homes and we really liked on the plans from Arden Homes which is Sienna 28. This one has a courtyard in between front and back of the house, as you suggested.
We need to make few changes on this design to our requirements.
Do you have a plan to share?

Cheers!! Vin
This is my thread. I’ve removed the plans for privacy reasons, but you may get an idea from the pics.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92728&hilit=Hamptons&p=1884705#p1884705
Hi Vineet, north facing means back yard is facing north, so your block is south facing.
In order to get the most out of your orientation, your living areas will need to be at the front or as suggested a plan with a courtyard that will allow northerly sun into the rear section of the house
I thought if you stand inside the house and look towards the front door and it faces North, the house orientation is said to be North facing.
Nope other way around, stand in your front door, if North is directly ahead then you have a north facing block
Hi Guys, Just an update from my last message.
I've sussed a mud plan for the home. Can you guys please provide your inputs into it for the improvements?
Hey mate,

Very quickly cadded this up for you. Inbox me if youd like the .pdf files.

Made some very obvious changes, and fixed a dimensional error you made with the rumpus. Changed benchtop dimensions to max ceaserstone slab size, walk room within kitchen, added doors (kind of), adjusted garage opening etc.

Enjoy and goodluck.

Hi Moudzj,

You are a real champion, I think this image file will do for me.

Would you recommend any alterations in the plan from the northerly aspect of the property? We would like to have 2 master ensuites, a big living space, small lounge at the front, and a small study space.

Cheers!!
Vineet
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum