Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Advise building with Metricon Fintona 37

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Thanks in advance for everyone’s input.

We’re currently looking at building in bridgeman downs Qld with Metricon Fintona 37z

I wanted to understand how much we would need to allow for at Studio M, it’s very hard to get any pricing from the sales consultants around upgrades. We were ready to build with a custom builder and the land contract fell through.

We have the following upgrades built into our quote so far.

- 2.7m ceilings both floors $8k
- luxury package $20k (promo) - standard flooring included
- full rendering $12k
- upgrades hot water $3k
- rebates glass timber staircase $9k
- Fujitsu aircon $18k
- 2.4m doors throughout $5k
- buttlers fit out $9k

Total build is at $425k at the moment which only leaves us with $15k at studio m

I feel like this is quite low given the cost of upgrades at Metricon.

Upgrades to go

- My Home smart system
- full height tiling in 3x bathrooms
- upgrade toilets to flush
- add power points / data points
- add 40 downlights ($4k)
- upgrade tiles
- glass splash back
- upgrade stone benchtop
- add cabinetry

My estimate is that we would need at least $25k to upgrade.

Any thoughts would be good.
In my house, the option for full height tiling to 4 walls was priced at about $1800 per bathroom, mainly due to additional tiles and square set cornices required for that option.

Upgrades for our stone benchtops were not significant except for the last category (5?). From memory there was a small difference between Cat1-4 then a big increase for Cat 5. I recall this was similar for many of the upgrades categories, the top category is a big jump.

Double power points were about $70 apiece so we added many of those, and standard 40 downlights included in our package were credited back at about $95 each, in lieu of the ones we chose that were $105 each and we installed 71 of them.

In total we added about $240k on top of the base price... but that does include some of the big ticket items you have in your list above already priced out.

viewtopic.php?p=1863541#p1863541
r_13
In my house, the option for full height tiling to 4 walls was priced at about $1800 per bathroom, mainly due to additional tiles and square set cornices required for that option.

Upgrades for our stone benchtops were not significant except for the last category (5?). From memory there was a small difference between Cat1-4 then a big increase for Cat 5. I recall this was similar for many of the upgrades categories, the top category is a big jump.

Double power points were about $70 apiece so we added many of those, and standard 40 downlights included in our package were credited back at about $95 each, in lieu of the ones we chose that were $105 each and we installed 71 of them.

In total we added about $240k on top of the base price... but that does include some of the big ticket items you have in your list above already priced out.

viewtopic.php?p=1863541#p1863541

If you don’t mind me asking what type of tiles were they? We’re looking at getting 300x600 or 600x600 rectified tiles in bathrooms
Also, noticed on your house you put engineered timber floor, how much did that cost? We were thinking of getting it done externally
Coldarea
Also, noticed on your house you put engineered timber floor, how much did that cost? We were thinking of getting it done externally

The timber floor we picked was PTF Classic French Grey Oak engineered timber at $148/m2 with upgraded underlay at $9/m2.

There's some discussion about this on this forum I recall but having skirting boards installed before the flooring will mean that you need quads installed around the edge for the expansion joint. This anyway is the case in our house because M did the floor last to avoid the possibility of damage during construction. It doesn't looks as bad as I was worried it might because they are a good colour match to the flooring. I was initially worried from reading reviews online about the quality of product installed by the company M uses (PTF - Perfect Timber Floors) but we just went ahead with them and it looks great.
--> I think the Certificate of Occupancy can be issued without flooring installed...

The tiles from Beaumonts were 600 x 600 NCIA Belga grey and charcoal, non-rectified (I think!)... and a 300 x 300 feature tile for the niches.

We had something like 1 year between the Selections appointments at Studio M and the tile selection appointment at Beaumont, because as tiles come and go from stock they don't lock them in until the Planning Permit is approved by Council...
Excellent thanks for your help, we’re trying to work out how we need up our sleeve.

The timber sounds expensive, we were looking at around $125 installed with underlay from a local flooring contractor. We’ll request Metricon to pin the skirting board and the flooring company will reinstall it.

Only issue is that Metricon includes standard flooring in our package not sure how much they’ll credit.
Coldarea
Only issue is that Metricon includes standard flooring in our package not sure how much they’ll credit.

Our package included Carpet Call Castletons Luxury Natural Oak 5 mm-thick vinyl floating floor system, which was deleted with a credit back of $11.5k, in lieu of our chosen 13.5 mm-thick engineered timber flooring and upgraded underlay.
r_13
Coldarea

Our package included Carpet Call Castletons Luxury Natural Oak 5 mm-thick vinyl floating floor system, which was deleted with a credit back of $11.5k, in lieu of our chosen 13.5 mm-thick engineered timber flooring and upgraded underlay.

Awesome thanks for the info. That’s very helpful, what was the net overall cost of the upgrade? We’re thinking we’ll need around $20k.
The net cost after credit back of the vinyl, add upgraded underlay and engineered timber to 90m2 was $2,600. We carpeted the living and study.
r_13
The net cost after credit back of the vinyl, add upgraded underlay and engineered timber to 90m2 was $2,600. We carpeted the living and study.

Awesome thanks that’s quite a bit less than I though. We got our studio walk through appointment today!
They told us that Beaumont's would contact us to make an appointment after the slab was poured.
Beaumont contacted us last week and booked us for Feb 11th, but we haven't got the building permit yet (been waiting for that since before Christmas)!
Sparkyf
They told us that Beaumont's would contact us to make an appointment after the slab was poured.
Beaumont contacted us last week and booked us for Feb 11th, but we haven't got the building permit yet (been waiting for that since before Christmas)!

Same happened to us, the tile appointment is held until the last minute because tile runs go out of stock. We did our Studio/M appointment in Dec 2018, applied for Planning Permit in Jan 2019... lost a year in admin... then Beaumont appointment in March 2020... Construction started in April 2020. Choosing tiles to match colour scheme you picked >1 year ago is tricky!
We already had to change our island benchtop colour, as the Dekton colour we chose (in May last year) is now obsolete and no longer in stock in Australia!
And despite Metricon telling us that they had submitted an application to council for the building permit, now they say they are waiting final corrected drawings to submit to their surveyor, and then will be submitted to council!
It's been just over 12 months already since we paid the $1,500 to start the ball rolling!
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum