Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Power points in kitchen

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I am trying to keep our kitchen free of power points (sounds crazy, I know) but I do have quite a few in our butlers pantry. I think I will be kicking myself though if I don't include any in our main kitchen. Does anyone have any ideas on how we could incorporate power points on/around our island bench without compromising the look of the stone? We will have stone on the front and sides of the island bench. I am conscious about practicality and feel I will probably need a power point somewhere in the kitchen. Any advise would be great! Thank.
how about pop ups
https://modernpowersolutions.com.au/onl ... er-outlet/
Fabulous idea!! We weren't made aware of these at our electrical appointment.

Do we need to allow provisions for these if our builder can't supply them?
I have installed one of these for a client in the past, I'm pretty sure it just plugged into a power point under the bench.
I'm personally not a fan. I hate putting holes in benchtops. A nice stone benchtop all of a sudden has a round cap in it. I think it spoils the top.
If you have cupboard doors on the island just have a point inside the cabinet. Yes you have to open the door to get to it but it's normally so infrequently it's not a pain
chippy
I have installed one of these for a client in the past, I'm pretty sure it just plugged into a power point under the bench.
I'm personally not a fan. I hate putting holes in benchtops. A nice stone benchtop all of a sudden has a round cap in it. I think it spoils the top.
If you have cupboard doors on the island just have a point inside the cabinet. Yes you have to open the door to get to it but it's normally so infrequently it's not a pain

Thanks, we have draws on our island bench, so that's a good idea too.

We also have a drop bench and were thinking of installing one on the side of the island under the drop bench where it won't be entirely visible. But I do like the idea of in the draw better to be honest.
build2020
chippy

Thanks, we have draws on our island bench, so that's a good idea too.

We also have a drop bench and were thinking of installing one on the side of the island under the drop bench where it won't be entirely visible. But I do like the idea of in the draw better to be honest.

This power point is in a cupboard with internal drawers but essentially you can do the same thing above a drawer. You just need to make sure you let the cabinet maker know so they can leave enough room above the drawer side to fit the power point.

We have always had them on the cabinetry under the overhang of our island and they are our most used points - you will definitely regret not having power points and have seen them in drawers too I think that either is preferable to making holes in your stone. But definitely have power points
Hidden Electrical Outlet Kitchen Island - Google Search

Agree with chippy - don't spoil a beautiful stone benchtop with a pop up. Have a look at the powerpoints hidden behind drop down false drawer fronts in this google image search.
scroll down to the fake draw with power point
https://www.topdreamer.com/12-absolutel ... unctional/
Under the overhang on the side of our island

We have hidden powerpoints on the underside of our overhead cupboards
Good idea but not much help on the island bench.
Depends on how you use appliances and your kitchen setup.

I have powerpoints on the bench along wall for constant use appliances (kettle, toaster, nutribullet, Nespresso machine etc) but use the island bench for hand mixers (when baking/cooking), rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker and charging an iPad/iPhone when they run out and I need recipes. Occasionally someone will do work at the island and will need a powerpoint too.

I would at least have a double on the back of the island, it would be inconvenient to walk around or lean over to plug in but better than having it in a cupboard or drawer and having to work around an open cupboard/drawer.
What lighting is above the island bench? Crazay idea... maybe you could put a power point in the overhead cupboards and use an extension cord and drape it over a light fitting and hang down. Or a hidden PowerPoint on the light fitting. I think everything will be a compromise. give it a few years and Milwaukee will being out an 18v mixmaster and food processor.
Related
17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

3/02/2024
Cooker now power after boil over

Kitchen Appliances

get an electrician to check and repair before you kill yourself

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum