Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Confused about 3 phase

Page 1 of 1
Hello! Yes, another 3 phase question.

I’m confused after lots of reading and arguments either way. Hoping you can help so I don’t look like a complete tool going back to the builder again (what about 3 phase; actually don’t worry about it).

About our build:

- battle axe block in an existing suburb. Single phase power has already been run down the driveway before we bought the block (about 30m).
- we will have RCAC and induction cooktop
- gas hot water for now (will replace one day with electric heat pump)
- no solar just yet but will probably only have roof space for a “just big enough” system so not concerned about feed in limits
- no plans for electric cars for many years yet
- fairly light power users and this home will be significantly more efficient than the current one

I’ve read all the stuff that says it’s cheaper to do 3 phase during build than later - but does that apply if the power has already been run to the block (underground)? Then there’s the consideration of future proofing and resale benefits (older suburb so pretty well no one would have 3 phase).

We are already near the top of our budget so really not sure if it is worth pursuing. Thoughts? Most things have been an easy decision but this one’s doing my head in!
If you can go 3 phase, better go 3 phase.
Let's say you would consider adding sauna or heated pool in the future.

Plus electric vehicles might be coming much sooner than you are expecting.
If you factor a 15kw (medium size) RC AC, a 900 induction cooktop at say 8kw (our Bosch is rated at 11kw) and 1 oven at 3kw.
That's 26kw just for those three.
That's 108amps and it hasn't even started to deal with any other requirements now or in the future.
As you can see, having the option to share that over three phases is going to stop you overloading your board.
Talk to your electrician, but if you can get 3 phase power in place I would.
The cable is more expensive but for you it's the cost of having to dig up what's there and replace it that is the biggest cost.
But doing it in the future will always be harder, particularly if you have to pull up driveways to get the run in done.
Thanks for the input. I’ll have a chat with the builder.
BanjoDan

If the conduit is big enough you might even be able to use the single phase cable to pull through 3 phases. I'd ask a sparky to check it out and quote.

The way the future is heading (big solar, EV etc) you may kick yourself in 5 years time for not doing 3 phase now.
supersleuth
BanjoDan

If the conduit is big enough you might even be able to use the single phase cable to pull through 3 phases.

Haha! I had the same thought!!
Related
5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum