Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fairmont Grand Design - Northern Adelaide

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone. We are planning to build our home with Fairmont - Grand Design - which we absolutely loved when looked on display in Two Wells. The only design we would not need to modify almost at all internally. The only things we are planning to add are the third garage (as oppose to the big shed at the back), my partner is very keen on a bay window to master bedroom and extend alfresco to cover the whole area between the garage wall to the end of the house.

So we are at the stage when we have the design but don't have land
now our biggest challenge is to find suitable block with at least 22 meters frontage (preferably 24), minimal slope if none at all and in Gawler area (we are happy to look between Angle Vale and Greenock but along the Northern Expressway), and reasonable cost as well
. We have registered our interest with Hillsview Green estate but there is no information about any large blocks available just yet.

This will be my second built but my partners first. I have built about 7 years ago with Statesman and overall was very happy with everything and still happy with my house, over 6 years since we got our keys on 1 August 2014 and no problems with structure, any fittings or anything else.

Any recommendations what to look for with Fairmont?

Any comments on the plan are most welcome.
It is the standard plan, on display there were more options included which we will add as well.

We are having a very similar house built in Waselys on one of the 4000m2 blocks. We used the Grand design and modified it a little to suit our budget, Shrunk it down to 205m2 internal. Like you this is the only design we came across that that didn't require massive internal changes.

Any idea what the third garage would cost?
Manny Calavera
We are having a very similar house built in Waselys on one of the 4000m2 blocks. We used the Grand design and modified it a little to suit our budget, Shrunk it down to 205m2 internal. Like you this is the only design we came across that that didn't require massive internal changes.

Any idea what the third garage would cost?

Third single garage cost around $5,000 but we still waiting for a quote from the sales person.

Manny Calavera, I wish we can buy such a big block of land. We are looking everywhere at the moment but all blocks are too small for what we want. I found 1 ha block in Lewiston but my partner is reluctant to get that much land as it needs a lot of work to maintain it.
A bit of an update. We found the block we liked, put an offer in and has been accepted. The land development under the process at the moment so no Titles are ready yet and probably won't for another 6 months or so which is fine with us. The block is 1600 sq m in size with 28 m frontage, what we wanted in every way.

So while we are waiting on the land Title, we can start talking to the builder, get quotes and get everything ready for the build.
Went to see the builder last Saturday, visited the display house again, but looked at the house in more detail now. Did a few changes to the plan at our appointment and waiting for the costing quote now. We did not realise that the base price for the houses went up by $3,000 since October last year. The sales person in the display we visited told us there will be another increase by at least $10,000 by the end of the year so we want to lock in the price as soon as possible.

We already started to look at the selections as it will be a bit of a process
my first house I built by myself so it was pretty easy, I liked it, I chose it
now we are doing it with my partner so lots of discussions about everything to make sure we both like what we are getting.
I short update. Last Wednesday we have signed the contract on the land and also signed Preliminary contract with the builder. Did go to Austral Brick Center and PGH Center on weekend and I would say we pretty much set on the brick now. We want to see how it is going to look with the roof colour we are thinking about as well.

So far the choice is between Austral Discover brick with Monument roof and windows, light coloured (probably Surfmist) garage doors and entry door and darker gutters and PGH Mistique brick with white mortar and the same for other elements as the first choice.

Work in progress
vladmari
I short update. Last Wednesday we have signed the contract on the land and also signed Preliminary contract with the builder. Did go to Austral Brick Center and PGH Center on weekend and I would say we pretty much set on the brick now. We want to see how it is going to look with the roof colour we are thinking about as well.

So far the choice is between Austral Discover brick with Monument roof and windows, light coloured (probably Surfmist) garage doors and entry door and darker gutters and PGH Mistique brick with white mortar and the same for other elements as the first choice.

Work in progress

Hello! My partner and I are looking to potentially build the grand design with Fairmont this year as well. Just wondering if you would mind sharing the total cost of the build and whether you did any upgrades etc.? I always want to know how much the display version costs but they never seem too willing to give that information up!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
LauraT2021,

we have got the pricing for the display house in Two Wells. It was around $270,000 mark from memory.

We did do some modifications to the plan adding third garage and making all three bigger (10 meters wide all three), we added butler's pantry on the side of the kitchen between the garage and alfresco (which we have extended as well), increased size of the garage doors. Also increased the ceiling heights to 2.7 meters. Few other minor bits and pieces.

All up our price is $305,000 without driveway, air conditioning, solar or fencing.

this is our preliminary plan
It has been a while since my last post. We had a pretty long delay with the development of our land but we were working with our builder in a meantime . Land has been settled on 15 August and today we have been released to construction

Out final plans

We also had selections done back in March

External selections

Flooring

Bathroom/Ensuite

Ensuite

Laundry

Kitchen/Pantry

Front door (double)

Internal doors

Kitchen Island
Almost 7 months since my last update. We are well into the construction phase now.

Since being sent to construction on 20 September 2022, we had the following timeline as to date
- site works started on 19 October 2022

- our footing has been poured on 18 November 2022 - day 0 for the future timeline

- sewage connection, electrical cabling and water pipe is done 31 January 2023 - week 11

- first lot of bricks delivered 3 March 2023 - week 15

- timber delivery 15 March 2023 - week 17

- frames started 24 March 2023 - week 18

- frames completed 3 April 2023 - week 20

- termite protection installed 11 April 2023 & first fix plumbing done 13 April 2023 - week 21

- wrapping is done on the house 8 May 2023
- fascias and gutters delivered 9 May 2023
- windows installed 11 May 2023 - all in week 25

So far we are still waiting for the roof to be completed and have been told it is 8 weeks wait from the frames to roof due to tradies shortage and weather delays.
Related
30/05/2023
Montgomery Homes KD/R on Northern Beaches

Building A New House

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has built with Montgomery in the last few years on the Northern Beaches? I don't see the see them around, as I would love to ask how happy…

24/12/2023
Garage builder, Adelaide

General Discussion

Building a new home, and looking for a garage builder (home builder not contracted to do this). Someone to build steel garage (double), colorbond, including supply and…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum