Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom design expensive, so which project builder recommend

Page 1 of 1
Thinking to go with some known builder like Metricon (Sovereign / Vantage) or King Homes (Doncaster) but I would like to know what factors to consider when choosing the right builder? Floor plan template, and inclusions, what else?

Any tips or specific things we should ask or check with builder in this initial search?

We are trying to do KDR on our 615sqm land 15.4m frontage and land is sloping on front side.
Looking for some modern/contemporary design (flat roof) - 40-45square - 2 storey - 5 bedders, double garage
It will have garage under as currently our garage is in that way and its appro 2.6m up to enter in the house.
Below is the just the picture to show how we would like to build.

Also, based on your experience and understanding, is it true that custom builders mostly agree and change the things and easily accommodate the changing requests as against project builder don't and if they do it costs a lot? Can you share some details on this as well please?
Personally, of be aiming for quality, not quantity.

40-45sq is pretty huge. Close to double the average Australian home, which build the largest homes in the world.

Not only do larger home cost more, they require more maintenance, take longer to clean, & are absolutely terrible for the environment.

The embodied energy (the emissions created during the production & transport of building materials) is very large for a home. Equal to about 15 years of operational energy for the average new build. It can be far, far larger than this for large 'energy efficient homes'.

Not to mention large footprints result in less greenery. Exacerbating the warming of our cities by the 'urban heat island' effect.

Larger homes also lead to more urban sprawl. Causing extinctions & threatening native wildlife. Urban sprawl was a major that to the koala population long before last summer's bushfires.

So if you want to do something that is not only good for your wallet, but also for the environment, is recommend building a smaller home.

You'll then have the funds to spend on top quality custom design, instead of ending up with a poorly designed, poorly built project home.

If also recommend you read this brilliant government website.

In 95% of cases a well designed home will be orientated correctly, with living areas facing north.

This will not only increase comfort, but will reduce energy bills.

Orientation is critical, & very often not even considered by project builders.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design
Hi, I also agree with ddarroch in that if you want to build fairly big but do it on a budget....well you will get what you are paying for, as there is no escaping the approach that project builders take (and even some smaller ones!). The typical approach is to take as many shortcuts especially on the things the owners won't typically pick up on (eg. all the important things like foundations, framing, wiring, insulation etc) and put out some glossy stuff in terms of selections, cabinetry etc.

So it is entirely your decision and your money. We have built a couple of times now, once with project builder (Simonds) and now more recently with a local builder. Although we still had some issues with the local builder (but mind you I am admittedly very fussy), the really important aspects to the build like foundations, framing etc is done very well. The houses built with that extra time and effort just simply work better, perform better (eg. cost less to run) and will last longer without going through all the typical hassles with things like cracking etc.

I have several friends and contacts now in the building industry, some working for project builders and others for smaller builders. On the whole the project guys report that they would personally never build with their own employers! I think that says it all really.

Sorry to sound negative, but I think it's good you are asking the question early on, that is smart. My advice is the same, design a smaller, smarter house, the engage a decent builder going off direct customer recommendations if possible. Stay engaged in the building process, paying particular attention to things like air sealing and insulation and enjoy your new home when you finally get to move in.
I just replied to your similar post on Houzz...
Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum