Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Design. Project builder versus a Private builder

Page 1 of 1
Any one used Masterton or Metricon for a custom design build? Or any project builder really ?

What was the experience like and what would the cost be in comparison to just going with a Private builder ?
Mowessis
Any one used Masterton or Metricon for a custom design build? Or any project builder really ?

What was the experience like and what would the cost be in comparison to just going with a Private builder ?

Good question.

You can definitely modify Metricon's floor plans a bit and I am sure Masterton will allow it too but at the end of the day you are still getting a compromise in quality and design.

In Sydney, depending on your finishes a project home builder will normally end up costing you approx $1500-$1600/sqm where as a custom home builder will realistically be between $1800-2000/sqm.

The main differences will be in the quality of the structure and detail of the finishes.

Most people dont realise that in NSW you dont need a building licence to supervise the construction of a house. So in many cases with the project home companies you can have a supervisor without a building license who is responsible for managing the construction of 15-20 homes and often they rarely visit site so the homes are built by subcontractors who are paid less than custom home builders pay and therefore they often take shortcuts.

Speaking generally, custom home builders will have a licensed builder who visits your site regularly and keeps a closer eye on quality. They will also be managing less homes so keeping a closer eye on your build.

I have worked for both a project home builder and a custom builder so I can attest to the fact that both can generally buy the materials for the same price but the cost savings do come in large part from cheaper rates for trades and supervision.

For instance Metricon ( and many others) use a 2 coat painting system. Most paint suppliers will tell you that Gyprock needs a minimum of 3 coats plus a sealing coat. An example I use is that Metricon used to allow me $13 to paint an alfresco ceiling ( this was in 2015-16). Its impossible to even buy the materials for $13. So quality suffers.

With a custom builder you can have any design that you like and that works for your lifestyle. Just depends on whether or not you can afford a few extra $.

Another important point to make is that you choose a project home builder you will be part of the sausage factory and as many people on here know, the design and approval process is normally 6-9 months via CDC. As a custom builder as we have less clients we get our approvals in 2-3 months therefore saving you in interest and other holding costs.

If you need any more advice happy for you to PM me. GrahamB on this forum is also very knowledgeable if you have questions ( he is an estimator by trade and has worked for both as well)

good luck

S
SejaeD
Another important point to make is that you choose a project home builder you will be part of the sausage factory

If you want to retain your taste for sausages, never see them being made.
SejaeD
Mowessis

For instance Metricon ( and many others) use a 2 coat painting system. Most paint suppliers will tell you that Gyprock needs a minimum of 3 coats plus a sealing coat. An example I use is that Metricon used to allow me $13 to paint an alfresco ceiling ( this was in 2015-16). Its impossible to even buy the materials for $13. So quality suffers.

In fact, primer/sealer (prep coat) + 2 top coats should be enough for Level 4 finish over gyprock.

https://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/tec ... asterboard

Do they apply just one top coat?

I wonder if Metricon is still using 3 coats for their display homes?
SejaeD
Mowessis

Good question.

You can definitely modify Metricon's floor plans a bit and I am sure Masterton will allow it too but at the end of the day you are still getting a compromise in quality and design.

In Sydney, depending on your finishes a project home builder will normally end up costing you approx $1500-$1600/sqm where as a custom home builder will realistically be between $1800-2000/sqm.

The main differences will be in the quality of the structure and detail of the finishes.

Most people dont realise that in NSW you dont need a building licence to supervise the construction of a house. So in many cases with the project home companies you can have a supervisor without a building license who is responsible for managing the construction of 15-20 homes and often they rarely visit site so the homes are built by subcontractors who are paid less than custom home builders pay and therefore they often take shortcuts.

Speaking generally, custom home builders will have a licensed builder who visits your site regularly and keeps a closer eye on quality. They will also be managing less homes so keeping a closer eye on your build.

I guess just work on an extra 300-400 per sqm

I have worked for both a project home builder and a custom builder so I can attest to the fact that both can generally buy the materials for the same price but the cost savings do come in large part from cheaper rates for trades and supervision.

With a custom builder you can have any design that you like and that works for your lifestyle. Just depends on whether or not you can afford a few extra $.

Another important point to make is that you choose a project home builder you will be part of the sausage factory and as many people on here know, the design and approval process is normally 6-9 months via CDC. As a custom builder as we have less clients we get our approvals in 2-3 months therefore saving you in interest and other holding costs.

If you need any more advice happy for you to PM me. GrahamB on this forum is also very knowledgeable if you have questions ( he is an estimator by trade and has worked for both as well)

good luck

S

Thanks for the feedback!

We are trying to build a dual occ either detached or duplex but our corner block with complicated drainage easement doesn't really fit into the project builder sausage factory unless we can get the easement re routed (which i haven't looked into yet). Or build 1 off the plan project on one side and a totally custom on the other.

Most likely going to keep both. Rent one and maybe move into the other or rent it out also. The project builder route appealed initially for price and simplicity of picking everything in 1 spot. Figured if i was saving a hundred grand or so it would pay for the repairs i'd be doing in a couple years and if i dug in and stood my ground post build to get every fault i could find repaired (as my brother did) it would be worth it.

Not going to know until we talk to council but seems clear at least one of them would have to be heavily customised. Hard to get a grasp of what that would cost through a project builder but i am guessing it would be eating in to the price difference a lot when you're moving away from the sausage factory.

So if there isn't that much of a cost saving looking more and more like i am better getting it done properly through a smaller builder!

Just hard to get a prices for a comparison as we don't know what we can do until we talk to council. I guess i work on roughly an extra $300 per sqm

thanks again!
alexp79
SejaeD
Mowessis

In fact, primer/sealer (prep coat) + 2 top coats should be enough for Level 4 finish over gyprock.

https://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/tec ... asterboard

Do they apply just one top coat?

I wonder if Metricon is still using 3 coats for their display homes?

Hi Alex

in my time we were using exclusively taubmans, first coat sprayed and second coat rolled ( no primer). I dont want to go into too many details on here but to be honest when you only are given $4-6k to paint a 180 sqm home, the results werent the greatest. We even had meetings with the paint reps and they said whilst they had a 2 coat system it was only available in 1 colour and then they wouldnt use it in their homes.

Anyway, just my experience
Mowessis
SejaeD
Mowessis

Good question.

I guess just work on an extra 300-400 per sqm

good luck

S

Thanks for the feedback!

We are trying to build a dual occ either detached or duplex but our corner block with complicated drainage easement doesn't really fit into the project builder sausage factory unless we can get the easement re routed (which i haven't looked into yet). Or build 1 off the plan project on one side and a totally custom on the other.

Most likely going to keep both. Rent one and maybe move into the other or rent it out also. The project builder route appealed initially for price and simplicity of picking everything in 1 spot. Figured if i was saving a hundred grand or so it would pay for the repairs i'd be doing in a couple years and if i dug in and stood my ground post build to get every fault i could find repaired (as my brother did) it would be worth it.

Not going to know until we talk to council but seems clear at least one of them would have to be heavily customised. Hard to get a grasp of what that would cost through a project builder but i am guessing it would be eating in to the price difference a lot when you're moving away from the sausage factory.

So if there isn't that much of a cost saving looking more and more like i am better getting it done properly through a smaller builder!

Just hard to get a prices for a comparison as we don't know what we can do until we talk to council. I guess i work on roughly an extra $300 per sqm

thanks again!

are you in Sydney? we have done quite a few here so I can give you more details if you like
Related
13/07/2023
Private inspector charge by builder

Building A New House

If you already have a contract, is the inspection cost stated in there? If not they would be forced to issue you a variation which you could of course object to.

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum