Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New build - south facing windows

Page 1 of 1
We are building a new house and our living room has a void with two large south facing windows. We understand that rooms with south facing windows are cold and dark, but we cannot change the floor plan. What we are wondering is whether we should add a highlight window in the void that is west facing to capture some sunlight in the living area? I have read that west facing windows should be avoided, however I am wondering whether it is better than not having it at all in a living area that only has south facing windows? would it be better to omit the highlight west facing window or add it in? We are unable to add any north facing or sky light windows in the living area. Thanks in advance for your help

Camel
We are building a new house and our living room has a void with two large south facing windows. We understand that rooms with south facing windows are cold and dark, but we cannot change the floor plan. What we are wondering is whether we should add a highlight window in the void that is west facing to capture some sunlight in the living area? I have read that west facing windows should be avoided, however I am wondering whether it is better than not having it at all in a living area that only has south facing windows? would it be better to omit the highlight west facing window or add it in? We are unable to add any north facing or sky light windows in the living area. Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Camel,

We are also doing a new build and have a south facing backyard. Our void windows face south so we have added a large window on the west side to allow sun in. We have also double glazed the windows and doors in the void and the room underneath (family) to hopefully retain the heat in winter when we heat up the house. I hear south facing windows are notorious for allowing heat to escape in winter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
N
Hi Camel.

I suggest installing a slit window, a tall and narrow window, maybe two if you can, into the ground floor family west wall with a shading device over, possible an awning you can remove during winter or deciduous plants and reducing both south facing windows as far as you are comfortable with.If you cant install an awning or plants then no biggie. Just have blinds or curtains for the summer time and offset it with AC if need be. Two slit windows, side by side in the GF and matched in the FF would help and look nice.

Those south facing windows will loose a lot of heat from your main living areas on both GF and FF. I strongly suggest making them smaller. Its basically a chimney sucking out your heat.

Can you add a window into the west retreat wall?
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum