Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Construction inspections

Page 1 of 1
Dear All,

I am planning to build our new home at Oran Park NSW. I have read most of the post here about building and construction inspections. So far, I have found the following inspections services:

1. Jim's building inspection - Grahme, who is servicing Oran Park area.
2. Vital Building Inspection
3. H&K Ryan and Associates - I have not called them, but will do very soon

My questions are:

A. Anyone here used the above for their construction? If yes, can you please share your experience?
B. How do you find their service and report? in other words, are they reliable?
C. If you have not used them, can you recommend one, or perhaps some?

Thank you very much,

Chris
Antiwarclan
Dear All,

I am planning to build our new home at Oran Park NSW. I have read most of the post here about building and construction inspections. So far, I have found the following inspections services:

1. Jim's building inspection - Grahme, who is servicing Oran Park area.
2. Vital Building Inspection
3. H&K Ryan and Associates - I have not called them, but will do very soon

My questions are:

A. Anyone here used the above for their construction? If yes, can you please share your experience?
B. How do you find their service and report? in other words, are they reliable?
C. If you have not used them, can you recommend one, or perhaps some?

Thank you very much,

Chris

Following this one Chris. My husband and I are also about to build in Oran Park. We have our initial tender acceptance meeting tomorrow with Ansa Homes.

Who did you decide to build with (please ignore this Q if not comfortable to share) and are you getting your building contract reviewed by a solicitor before signing?

I had a referral to Key Building Consultants and also gained a quote from South West Property inspections who seem to get a good wrap.
Hi Rjc83, thanks for the reply. We are planning to build with Firststyle Homes, and we are still in the early stages, which I have paid $2,000 to secure the land and the package. Currently in discussion about house design, inclusions and variations, as I wanted to know how much would the deal cost me.

In respect of reviewing the building contract, this will be reviewed by my solicitor (this is to run through the legal side of the contract) and an inspection services (this is to ensure condition, plan, layout and materials are fit for purpose, and most importantly no surprises)

I have just spoken to H&K Ryan, which Howard said he will send me an email with information. In respect of Grahme of Jim's building inspection and Vital Building inspections, they seems to be ok, as in they know what they were talking, and also they recommended at least 4 stages inspection.

You typed that you had a referral to Key Building Consultants and you have gained a quote from South West Property inspections. May I know how do you find them?
Antiwarclan
Hi Rjc83, thanks for the reply. We are planning to build with Firststyle Homes, and we are still in the early stages, which I have paid $2,000 to secure the land and the package. Currently in discussion about house design, inclusions and variations, as I wanted to know how much would the deal cost me.

In respect of reviewing the building contract, this will be reviewed by my solicitor (this is to run through the legal side of the contract) and an inspection services (this is to ensure condition, plan, layout and materials are fit for purpose, and most importantly no surprises)

I have just spoken to H&K Ryan, which Howard said he will send me an email with information. In respect of Grahme of Jim's building inspection and Vital Building inspections, they seems to be ok, as in they know what they were talking, and also they recommended at least 4 stages inspection.

You typed that you had a referral to Key Building Consultants and you have gained a quote from South West Property inspections. May I know how do you find them?

Hi Chris,

Key Building Consultants were referred to me by an acquaintance who had built and used them for their site inspections. They were quite happy with him, looks like he does 4 stage inspections.

South West Property inspections were referred on the community Facebook page, they offer 6 stage inspection.

I haven’t decided who to go through just yet, but likely to be Key Building Consultants, I got to speak to the gent who will do the actual inspections and he (seemed) very knowledgeable.
Who are you leaning towards based on the companies you listed above?
There a number of post here mentioned about H&K Ryan, and I was looking forward to it. After receiving the email and attachment from H&K Ryan, which they stated that one only need two inspections for the construction being Pre Frame and PCI stages. The reason they give is that

"There is NO NEED to have any other types of independent inspections carried out as some other Inspection
Entities want to do six. I say again, NO NEED as the required inspections outside of these two by H&K Ryan
are to be Certified by other competent entities which will form part of your Warranty under the 1989 Home
Building Act"

Well they have a point here, however how would one know that the inspector hired by the builder is giving an independent report rather than an independent report by appearance?

As such, to answer your question, Rjc83, I have no idea. Also, apart from talking to H&K Ryan, I have emailed Houspect, who suggested that I do four stages inspection with an optional inspection for waterproofing stage, which they stated that it will be a visual inspection and the inspector will comment on the general application of the waterproofing stating if it is good in appearance and follows standards.

I have a look at Key Building Consultants' website and will give them a call next Tuesday.
I am using https://southwestpropertyinspections.com.au/ for all inspections - Pre Slab, brick, frame, pre lining , PCI etc. I would not trust a builders independent at all. if you only do the 2 as above there can be issues to far in or hidden that you will never know of.

End of the day its up to you but when you spending close or more than $500,000 why would you not get it ALL checked?
Related
7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

10/06/2023
Construction Delayed - Calculation of delay.

Building A New House

Hi, My home construction is complete, and the handover is scheduled next week. However the construction has been delayed and I have raised this to the builder. The…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum