Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Metal roof and wall noise

Page 1 of 1
Hello all - some time ago I did a post on a metal roof with no sarking. My warranties inspection has been postponed by my builder due to COVID-19 (which is fine).

My roof pops and makes noise when the sun comes out. But not only this, one of my walls (quads) makes noise as if they are coming unstuck from the skirting boards at the exact same time, every time. Does anyone know why? It is only in one wall of the house.

I had an independent inspector for all stages throughout my build. I was speaking to my construction lawyer about another matter not directly related to the construction of my home and mentioned the very loud noises. He suggested I get my inspector back (not a structural engineer) prior to my builder coming back. My inspector does not offer this service so I was wondering if it is still worthwhile getting a structural engineer out instead. I understand that metal roofs will pop due to thermal expansion and contraction but the wall and quad noise is another matter.

I am in Melbourne. Do you have any recommendations for an engineer? There are a few other things wrong with the house but nothing major (I hope).
Hello,
Did you end up getting anywhere with this?

Does yours sound like this? https://youtu.be/vefkQJ97xxs
shane3340
Hello,
Did you end up getting anywhere with this?

Does yours sound like this? https://youtu.be/vefkQJ97xxs

Any luck finding out what this was Shane?
littlered
Hello all - some time ago I did a post on a metal roof with no sarking. My warranties inspection has been postponed by my builder due to COVID-19 (which is fine).

My roof pops and makes noise when the sun comes out. But not only this, one of my walls (quads) makes noise as if they are coming unstuck from the skirting boards at the exact same time, every time. Does anyone know why? It is only in one wall of the house.

I had an independent inspector for all stages throughout my build. I was speaking to my construction lawyer about another matter not directly related to the construction of my home and mentioned the very loud noises. He suggested I get my inspector back (not a structural engineer) prior to my builder coming back. My inspector does not offer this service so I was wondering if it is still worthwhile getting a structural engineer out instead. I understand that metal roofs will pop due to thermal expansion and contraction but the wall and quad noise is another matter.

I am in Melbourne. Do you have any recommendations for an engineer? There are a few other things wrong with the house but nothing major (I hope).

Did you ever figure out what was causing this noise?
Related
23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

29/02/2024
Home Noise Reduction/Soundproofing

Renovation + Home Improvement

Upgrading your windows to soundproof ones, like triple-glazed, can make a significant difference. While changing window…

30/12/2023
Cut metal with a mitre saw?

General Discussion

Fine with me... just let 'em step in with some affordable (but good) gear...

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum