Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder withholding compliance certificate

Page 1 of 1
Builder withholding “sustainability measures declaration of compliance “ Over payment dispute in which builder wants full upfront payment before occupancy can be lodged with surveyor. surveyor has advised me that he cant issue occupancy until builder submits this form. What if the builder drops dead before signing form, surely there must be a way around this. Builder has all the power.

Unfortunately this sort of compliance certificate is not required to be lodged with a government body like the VBA so I’m stuck.
Hey Savill Welcome to the forum
It wasn't that long ago I saw a builder nudge the client out the front door and basically told them
"...dont come back until you have the final payment cheque"
Things haven't basically changed in decades.
My point is the battlers and punters have no protection, once they sign the building contract,
OT, LOL and the Fed & state govts have given the builders $55K, so they aint going to upset the apple cart (so as to speak)
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Hey Savill Welcome to the forum
It wasn't that long ago I saw a builder nudge the client out the front door and basically told them
"...dont come back until you have the final payment cheque"
Things haven't basically changed in decades.
My point is the battlers and punters have no protection, once they sign the building contract,
OT, LOL and the Fed & state govts have given the builders $55K, so they aint going to upset the apple cart (so as to speak)
Cheers
Chris

It’s illegal under the domestic building contract act to withhold certificates. Also contract paid in full builder wants $30 outside the contract .. crooks
In Victoria occupancy certificate is a pre condition for final payment, also builder is not entitled to be paid for any variations that owner has not counter signed. This excludes provisional sums and PC adjustments
Related
4/07/2023
Roof Plumbing - no compliance certificate ?

General Discussion

For anyone that comes across this issue in the future - Just did what aussieta said and found a plumber to inspect it and sign off on it. Was difficult to find someone to…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum