Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New dwelling higher than maximum allowed?

Page 1 of 1
Building in Geelong area, the height restrictions are 7.5M which is pretty standard in most places.
Referring to GREATER GEELONG PLANNING SCHEME under DDO14 (which our plan indicates), Schedule 14, Item 2 Buildings and works states:

"A permit is not required for buildings and works other than to construct a dwelling which is more than 7.5 metres above natural ground level (excluding any television antenna, chimney or flue)"

However, under VICTORIA PLANNING PROVISIONS, GENERAL RESIDENTIAL ZONE (GRZ which is shown on our plan), Item 32.08-10 states:

"A building may exceed the maximum building height by up to 1 metre if the slope of the natural ground level, measured at any cross section of the site of the building wider than 8 metres, is greater than 2.5 degrees."

I have checked our block, as it does have a fall of 3.2 metres from front right to back left. The ground profile shows a fall of 1.89 metres from RH to LH side around the middle of the plan, which I then calculated using their formula, and it would seem that our block then has a fall of 5 degrees from RH to LH sides.

The question I have is this:
Which one takes priority, the Victorian Planning Provisions, or Greater Geelong Planning Scheme? We raised the ceilings on our house plan, so the total house height is just over 8.2M, which under the GRZ requires a permit, but under DDO can be exempted.
Thanks for starting this thread.
Here is the guide. Looks like we need a Land Surveyor! Handy, there is one over our back fence (Geelong Land Surveyors), I have emailed him with my information for a quote.

I don't have access to all the required and detailed information. And it's not something you want to have to keep re-doing until you get it right!
Related
17/09/2023
Structural Issue - DPC Higher than finished floor level

Building A New House

interesting situation what happened after builder issued final invoice? did you list as defect or not does the building surveyor have any responsibility? ie. issuing…

22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum