Join Login
Building ForumIntroductions

Introductions Please!

Page 23 of 25
Hi all,

I'm new to building, and I've been reading on here for a couple of months. I'm getting lots of great ideas and tips. I've just purchased a block at Springwood (Gawler East) in SA, and am going to wait 12 months before I start building.

Building a home has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I'm a single mum and am excited about this next step in our lives. It's so empowering to make the choice to do this because I want to, rather than dealing with the consequences of someone else's poor decisions! Bring it on I say!

Really looking forward to learning and sharing with you along the way!
Hi all,

Complete novice in building and construction but keen to change that.

First time on here looking for advice and ideas on converting our block of 4 old units into 5 terrace houses.
Hi everyone,

We moved into our house twelve months ago yesterday and I thought it high time that I started to get some ideas on the renovation project (or get divorced in the process!)

We purchased a mid eighties tumbled brick house with raked ceilings and beautiful views, we now just have to get down the nitty gritty. We've done two rooms, and have now employed an engineer to see if we can remove the awful posts in the middle of the room, and expand a doorway so I can finally finish painting my walls and carpet!

Looking forward to having a look around and see what ideas I can get!

Sez
Hi, Bec here,

I am a mortgage broker and love, love, love building! I found Homeone through clients who were building and blogging on this forum. I got a few mentions and a few follow ups so I thought I'd take a look.

I've mostly built project homes but have also completed a major renovation, gutting and transforming that stereotypical "worst house on the best street", a 40odd square home on an acre that we paid less than land value for - and started by exterminating the resident termites, removing trailer loads of old cans, replacing or patching holes in every wall... you get the picture. She's a beauty now, and worth more than twice her purchase price.

The one least fun activity in the reno had to be jackhammering up 140m2 of slate - I read it's slightly more painful than gouging out your own eyeballs and I think thats fairly accurate, but if you're considering it - I just might have some tips for you!
Hi All,

Just joined HomeOne to discuss various home renovation things. My wife and I are part way through a restoration & refurbishment of a 4 bed 3 bath 1964 architect designed modernist home in Brisbane. We bought the house from the original owner, who unfortunately had gotten way beyond being able to maintain it. This meant that the house was in pretty poor condition.

There was a significant amount of termite damage in one part of the house, the pool was a mess, the kitchen and all 3 bathrooms were well beyond their serviceable lives. The flat roof and box gutters had recently been replaced, but the damage from leaks had been done. The rest of it was just generally tired, but with good bones.

Despite its condition, the actual design of the house is fantastic, it is a single level raised floor set high on a hill, cantilevering out with views over the pool and beyond. It is a "U" shaped house with the expansive "master wing" linked to the rest of the house with a bridge foyer with floor to ceiling glass on either side. An elevated, semi-private courtyard/patio sits in the middle of the "U". It has lots of floor-to-ceiling windows everywhere, high atrium ceiling with high louvres in the living area, hardwood timber floors throughout most of the house (some is concrete slab). There is original 1960's recessed Erco lighting track throughout many rooms, fitted with Erco, iGuzzini and Concord architectural track lighting. Underneath about 1/3 of the house is enclosed and secure for laundry, storage and 3rd bathroom. The original landscaping, although in average condition, was designed by renowned Brisbane landscape architect, Lawrence Smith OAM, designer of many city botanic gardens around Queensland. We have all the original architectural drawings for both the house and the landscaping.

So far over the past 12 months we have knocked out a wall to create a more open-plan kitchen/living dining space, re-done the timber floors, new kitchen with 2pac cabinets and marble bench top, and just generally re-sheeted and painted most of the living area and other 3 bedrooms. We have fixed up the pool, fixed up most of the termite damage, cleared about 15 huge trees, and done a lot of gardening and landscaping. We've also redone most of the plumbing and electrical.

Our plan for the next 12 months (as well as lots of little jobs) is to completely re-do the master wing with a very high-spec ensuite, walk in robe/dressing room, study and master bedroom. We plan on doing the second bathroom. We also will be doing some structural landscaping such as tiered retaining walls (we are on a fairly slopey block).

In everything that we do to the home, we are trying to be sympathetic to the original design and the philosophy of mid century modernist architecture. Whilst the home will not be a museum of 1960's architecture and furniture, we are aiming for it to at least reflect the main principles of it. At the end of the day, a house needs to be practical and comfortable, and the whole premise of modernism is to embrace chance and improvement.
Hi all
I'm a new member and new to building. I have owned a house previously, that was a great little ex state housing place but I sold that about 8-9 years ago. I am now at the stage that I am earning enough to build.

I have been lurking these boards on and off for about 2 years, touring display homes and chatting to salespeople.

I am currently deciding between two builders - Aussie Living and WA Housing Centre here in South West WA.

Big thank you to everyone who has contributed to these boards, so much information
Hello

My name is Graham and my wife's name is Kathy, hence the name Grakat.

We live in Western Sydney, I am a Plastics Engineer, and my wife is a WHS Manager. I am a DIY person but was taught a lot from my father who was a carpenter. He did all his work in the 1950s, so it is interesting to compare what he taught me against what I see in houses today.

We do our own renovations on our house, things are coming along nicely.

Best Regards
Graham and Kathy.
Hello Home1ers!

My name is Victor, my wife and I are building ourselves the Avoca 26 with Coral Homes on the North-side of Brisbane. What a wonderful wealth of knowledge this site has to offer!

I wish we had stumbled across this forum earlier, we have been browsing this site for about a week now and the information and advice on here is so helpful.

Looking forward to being more active on here and hopefully be helpful to others out there.
Avoca26
Hello Home1ers!

My name is Victor, my wife and I are building ourselves the Avoca 26 with Coral Homes on the North-side of Brisbane. What a wonderful wealth of knowledge this site has to offer!

I wish we had stumbled across this forum earlier, we have been browsing this site for about a week now and the information and advice on here is so helpful.

Looking forward to being more active on here and hopefully be helpful to others out there.

Hi Victor,

Do you have your own forum?
We also liked the Avoca 26 but decided on the Noosa 28
Firstbuild92
Avoca26
Hello Home1ers!

Hi Victor,

Do you have your own forum?
We also liked the Avoca 26 but decided on the Noosa 28

Hi Firstbuild 92.

Haven't got our own forum, we are over half way through our build now so I didn't think to start our own.
The Noosa 28 is very nice but it didn't reach the covenant requirements for our estate. how are you going with your build? are you guys far along?
Hello Guys,

We are Group AMS - New to this Forum. We provide plumbers for the entire Gold Coast, Beenleigh and Brisbane regions. We hope we can spend a Good time with you all.

Regards
Marketing Manager
Group AMS (Advance Maintenance Service)
Gday Peoples

Living in the wild west
here

Have almost decided to build on our existing block which I'm sure will be all fun and games

As for a question wheres the best place here to ask for advice on designs I've got some ideas but there is a lot of designs around and I thought someone else might of come across a similar need.
Hello all

My hubby and I have finally made the step to build a home and have put a predeposit down on a block on the weekend in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Looking forward to reading everyones stories and getting lots and lots of help
Hi Jools from Perth

I wanted to build a house 2 years ago but couldnt find a titled block in the area I wanted to build in but luckily found a newly built house in the same area (Swan Valley in Perth).
Probably just as well as I dont think my health would have survived building a house and the associated stress that goes with it. And at the time rentals were really hard to come by in Perth.
I found Homeone when I googled the builder of my house and have enjoyed reading about other people's journeys in their building.
Jools
Hello,

I'm Claire, my husband and I are looking to buy some land in the Hunter Valley area and build our first home.

Neither of us have any idea what we're doing and are still at the build with brick or not? How many rooms? Stage. Looking forward to lots of questions, help, pictures and especially floor plans as we start this journey!

See you in the forums

Welcome to the forums.
The best advice I can give is to read this excellent thread especially the summary on page 32.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5823
A lot of info there from mostly people who have built a new home and missed a couple of things in their build.

Stewie
Hi Stewie,

Thanks so much. I've started reading that thread on your advice.

Good evening

I am a South African. Been browsing the forum for ages and thought would join.

I love watching your The Block and House Rules. Get so many ideas etc and styles from there. Thank you. Hahahha

So yes, we have different rules and regulations so I will post my renovations etc so dont feint. Hahaha

Looking forward to loads more ideas from here.

Scienide

Good day
I am the publisher and editor of The Owner Builder magazine, an independent publication that started life back in 1982.
We provide resources and inspiration for owner builders as they embark on the journey of building their own home.
I have already been blown away by some of the project threads in the forum!
Claire01
Hello,

I'm Claire, my husband and I are looking to buy some land in the Hunter Valley area and build our first home.

Neither of us have any idea what we're doing and are still at the build with brick or not? How many rooms? Stage. Looking forward to lots of questions, help, pictures and especially floor plans as we start this journey!

See you in the forums

Hi there, are you still looking to buy land and build or have you found that special somewhere?

Related
You are here
Building ForumIntroductions
Home
Pros
Forum