Join Login
Building ForumMove Management

Anyone got opinions on these removalists?

Page 1 of 1
Hello

I'm going to be receiving quotes from these 3 removalist companies, and was just wondering if anyone had any personal experiences or opinions about any of them?

Thanks!

- Wridgeways
- Allied Pickfords
- Grace Removals

Hi Grace

Allied pickfords moved me interstate, to an island, and back again. It all went ok i guess. nothing broken or missing.

I got ripped off for the move over there, told me i had more cubic metres than i did. Didn't rock up on the day they were supposed to. But that was in a mining town, so they tend to rip you off as they know what you are earning.

The only advice i can give is anything you want left behind and not packed, put in one corner, or in a box and tell the guys when they come. They pack EVERYTHING!!!!! They swarm in like locusts. They packed all my cleaning supplies i needed, including the dirty old sponge on the sink
Hello,

We moved to Sydney from Adelaide with Grace, and they were awful. Heaps of damages, and it took my husband about 9 months to get the money out of them for repairs and replacements.

4 years later we moved back to Adelaide and used Allied Pickfords, and they were fantastic! They broke a side of a desk, but didn't delay in paying us for a replacement, even went out of their way to help us find the exact same desk in the same colour. Couldn't fault their claims process.

Hope that helps.
Megan
Oh GOOD. We’ve decided to go with Allied Pickfords, as their quote was just SO much lower than the other 2. The quotes were as follows…

1. Grace – about $3,000 for moving and about $2,000 for packing (boxes, labour, etc) plus about $1,800 in insurance
2. Wridgeways – about $2,000 for moving and about $1,500 for packing, plus $1,800 for insurance
3. Allied Pickfords – about $1,000 for moving and $500 for packing (SO CHEAP!) plus $1,800 for insurance.

The insurance of $1,800 is standard. We have about $120,000 to insure. Ugh. I wonder why Allieds were SO much cheaper in terms of packing.
They were alot cheaper for us too, but I had no problem with their packing.

They wrapped up a very expensive china tea set for me, and all our Waterford crystal, and none of it was broken and we even had our stuff in storage with them for 6 months between houses. So I was happy with the whole move.

Like I said, it was just the desk, but that was no drama. I hope you'll be happy with them too.

Good luck, moving is stressful!
Thank you!! It is indeed a stressful, but exciting time. I just want to be able to enjoy our last month in our place now and then on the day/s of moving, to teleport all our stuff and ourselves into our new place and have it all unpacked the way we want it, without having to take any time or effort to actually DO it! lol
Well, it's all booked in for packing next Thursday and then pick up and removal/relocation on the Friday. Eep!

I wasn't stressed until today when, 2 days after doing a direct transfer from my online banking to Allied Pickford's account for the full amount of $4,487.00, I still haven't received an email to confirm they've received it, despite my asking in an email on Tuesday...so now I'm worried.

Also I've just noticed in the paperwork they sent me, it says I or an agent (my partner) will have to be present for the ENTIRE DURATION they're here...we can't do that!!! In all of our past moving experiences, they actually preferred you NOT be here the whole time they're packing, because you really do just get in the way!

Like, it'll take them all day (seriously, ALL DAY) to pack up all our stuff. What would either of us do? Just sit on a couch and try not to get in the way? We couldn't DO anything! I don't want to be sitting around unable to leave the premises while boxes are piled up around me (I picture a fast-motion cartoon of me sitting on the couch whilst being rapidly surrounded by more and more millions of boxes until you can't even see me anymore. lol)

The main thing is though that neither of us can take a day off work. My partner is already taking the Friday off to be here the whole time for delivery so she can show them where to put the furniture and stuff, but I can't even take a single day off.

STRESSED! OUT!
It’s alright.

The money’s gone through finally, and they said it’s just necessary to have someone there when the removalists arrive, and when they leave, since they don’t want any issues with correct locking of the property, which is understandable. And obviously we have to be there for delivery. All good! *relieved*
Well, the move is over and we're now in the somewhat tiresome process of unpacking all 100+ boxes.

Sadly, one of my beloved lamps has had the glass pane broken. *sigh* Claim time.
Digging up and old thread here but thought Id put in my 2 cents worth about removalists. We moved from Perth to Sunshine Coast, QLD in June 2008. We got a few quotes but in the end decided to go with Allied Pickfords as they just seemed to be the most organised in terms of responding to emails/calls/ rocking up to appts on time etc.

The guy who came out to the house to do the quote wasn't pushy at all. They provided us with free boxes (they were second hand but that wasnt an issue), white paper, packing tape etc.

They showed up on time on the scheduled day.. and our stuff actually arrived in Brisbane before I did ! Went the whole way by train. Nothing we have discovered yet is broken (much of it still sitting in boxes in a shed as we are still living with in-laws while we build a house lol)

The coordinator girl in the Perth office was fantastic.. cant say the same for the girl in the Brisbane office - bit of a space cadet! But overall very happy
Good to know.

Just an update from me. I lodged a claim for my broken lamp, and although sadly I couldn't source a replacement or anyone who repaired it locally (it's from Melbourne, several years ago and the specific shop I got it from is long closed down), it was only the glass pane that shattered - the rest of the lamp is fine so I still have it on display and it still looks good - and I also still got a cash payout from Allied Pickford's insurance. No issues, no arguments. I was very happy.
Grace - did I miss a post. Have you moved from the apartment that you never settled into?
lol, no, my latest post was still referring to the last move, over a year ago.
Havent personally tried any of these companies myself, but a friend in Sydney recently used a company called Smart Move who she was very happy with http://www.smart-move.com.au/

I have heard Wridgeways are fairly good also.
Watch out for slow removalists that charge by the half hour, and then tell you that they won't move certain fragile items.
Related
6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

You are here
Building ForumMove Management
Home
Pros
Forum