Join Login
Building ForumMove Management

Where to get good moving boxes from???

Page 1 of 1
Just heard that mum's unit we will be renting off her whilst building will be ready in about 4wks
So I suddenly have a lot to do!!

Where do you get good moving boxes from (relatively cheap but still good)?? We will be storing quite a lot of the stuff in the garage while we're building so I dont have to unpack and repack it twice, so they need to be good boxes.

Any suggestions?? I know Bunnings sell them but they're a bit pricey....

Cheers
Caz
We bought a bunch advertised in our local "Pocket Trader". Trading Post might be another option.
Kylie
They're not especially cheap, but we used Kennards' boxes in our moves and they were great. You can buy used ones from them usually, but we got new - and you can sell them back when you're finished with them to get ~25% back (and not have to be shoving boxes in the recycling bin for months afterward if you're short of space, like we were).
kb46
We bought a bunch advertised in our local "Pocket Trader". Trading Post might be another option.
Kylie

ooh trading post, why didn't i think of that? (considering my OH works for them!!) thanks
annege
They're not especially cheap, but we used Kennards' boxes in our moves and they were great. You can buy used ones from them usually, but we got new - and you can sell them back when you're finished with them to get ~25% back (and not have to be shoving boxes in the recycling bin for months afterward if you're short of space, like we were).

will check them out too, the recycling bin thing is always a problem, there is never enough room is there?? cheers
annege
we used Kennards' boxes in our moves and they were great.

I agree....Look up storage places, like Kennards, Fort Knox etc (there's usually at least one in every suburb) as they do what annege said and buy the boxes back off you. And they're made of really thick cardboard- good for stacking without collapsing.
Try these

http://www.hireabox.com.au

Jack
I got all my boxes for free from the Target store near me. They dump them out the back every tuesday ready for pickup by the recyclers.
I've got free boxes also - I've got boxes from Bunnings at the front of their store for free, at my work (grabbed the paper boxes - photocopying and printing paper) they are a great size and quite sturdy and parent's work also done the same. Great places for wine boxes are Dan Murphy's.

Hope it helps!
What's an OH?????? I get the 'H' bit . . . but whats the O for?

Overworked???
Obvious???
Occasional???
Original????

*frosty*
What's an OH?????? I get the 'H' bit . . . but whats the O for?

Overworked???
Obvious???
Occasional???
Original????

OH = other half, get with the lingo Will!
mel_b
I've got free boxes also - I've got boxes from Bunnings at the front of their store for free, at my work (grabbed the paper boxes - photocopying and printing paper) they are a great size and quite sturdy and parent's work also done the same. Great places for wine boxes are Dan Murphy's.

Hope it helps!

ooh forgot about bunnings, going there tonight so i'll see what they have!!

and good excuse to hit the liquor store too
I was lucky enough to get a zillion polystyrene (spelling?) boxes from my Maternal Child Health Centre (fortunately I work in Children's Services of local Council) and they saved all these boxes when the immunisations came in. They are brilliant, with lids that fit & nothing will get into these air tight boxes whilst in storage. I have stuff stored amongst family, in garages, sheds
and I know it's all safe & sound from the weather or any feral creatures

Jazz
Just scored about 5 big heavy duty boxes from my Bunnings (couldn't fit any more on my trolley!) A few good ones from lawn mowers I think so they are double sided and strong - bonus!

Might do a few more runs to Bunnings since they're free - well at least I assume they are as no-one stopped me!
Super markets and fruit n veg shops are also good sources
cazoraz
annege

will check them out too, the recycling bin thing is always a problem, there is never enough room is there?? cheers

Don't forget that many local councils will allow you to take domestic quantities of paper and cardboard to the tip without charge.

After a mixed load, as we prepare for our move, I've learned to separate the free of charge rubbish from the rubbish that will be charged for to keep the cost of dumping down. I sent the boys with a station wagon full of the free of charge rubbish to the local council today.
Maccas - the boxes that their fries come in are great sizes for most items in the house... and because every maccas sells heaps of fries all the time - you're guaranteed to get heaps of boxes really quick - so long as they keep them for you when you ask!
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

1/09/2023
Moving a chandelier after it has been mounted

Lighting + Lighting Design

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding moving a chandelier after it has been mounted. The chandelier in question is quite large, measuring 4 meters…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

You are here
Building ForumMove Management
Home
Pros
Forum