Join Login
Building ForumMove Management

House Movers and costs

Page 1 of 1
New here so if this topic has come up before please point me in that direction.

What we are after are some approx costs of moving a whole house. We are looking in the Sydney metro area only.
What are some of the pitfalls and any advice you could give would be appreciated.

If you have done this type of thing what were you're experiences etc.

Thank you
I lived in the northern beaches for some time and moved when my 1 bedroom apartment at the time went up for sale. To move all my stuff out and to the next street literally behind where I was living it cost $400 for 3.5hours of work (not a full family home I know) but an indication.

Good luck
Make sure your home contents insurance policy covers your good in transit. And don;t forget to immediately notify them of your new address !
I don't know about the other posters.

I thought he wanted to move the whole house, as in put the house on the back of a truck and move it to another block.
I thought the same david!

Matt
Oops, I think you're right

Personally the whole idea horrifies me, but I saw it done several times in Brisbane with quite remarkable results. But the idea of just picking up a house and dumping it down somewhere else just doesn't seem right to me - but then I'm a double-brick sort of person.
david s
I don't know about the other posters.

I thought he wanted to move the whole house, as in put the house on the back of a truck and move it to another block.

Sorry could have made it a bit clearer, I'm talking about the house itself, onto the back of a truck to a new block.
Oh yeah - I hadn't read it that way either but maybe you are right.
The idea is not so great and so far not economical in any sense.Why move the whole house.You can just move all your necessary things and all.
Thanks
We advertised the old house as a "come and get it" so we could build a new house on the block.
Advantage to us - no demolition costs.
Advantage to new owner - 2 bed house acquired for the cost of removal and connections at new location.
They literally cut the building in half and 2 trips later....job done.
Biggest problem from our point of view was getting the move "actioned".
I have no idea how the move went, where it was moved to or how successful, ultimately, it was.
We sold our house, had it cut up and trucked away. After this, a demolition company came in and demo'd the old garage, cleared the block of all piers and concrete paths and left us with a clean block.
The process did take a bit of time, but we got a bit of cash for the house (it went south to NSW and has been put back together - ultra recycling!) and we had a clean block to start the new build.

Pitfalls/advice
The structure never goes back together as easily as it was cut up. Budget on a near full renovation job at the new location (company we used told us of the story of putting it right in the new location...mmm...took quite a bit of effort apparently)
Lots of costs involved in getting the power, gas, sewer ,etc. turned off and/or disconnected.
Some companies are certainly much better at doing this than others. I've seen a couple that were very roughly cut in half and put back together but another one where they did a very good job and you cannot tell where the house was separated inside or out. I think it comes down to how much you are quoted. I'd use one company to divide the old house and move it then another ( a licensed builder ) to lay out all the new foundations and put it back together.
Last time I heard about five years ago an average three bedroom W/B house could be relocated for $30,000 to almost anywhere in NSW ( site conditions at either end allowing of course ).

Stewie
Maybe the OP can update with experiences if he's moved the house in the last 6 years
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

2/10/2023
Landscaping Options and Costs

Building A New House

Ha all, I am now about half way (maybe a bit more) through my build with Carlisle Homes - double-storey knockdown/rebuild project. So I am now doing my due diligence and…

28/04/2023
Perth - Class S Soil - 83K Site Costs???!

Building A New House

I am not sure whether Perth has its own way of doing things in regards to this. Most of Perth has class A (sandy soil), except for some areas near rivers or hills.

You are here
Building ForumMove Management
Home
Pros
Forum