Join Login
Building ForumFeng Shui

Seeing Straight through house

Page 1 of 1
Ok you Feng Shui experts I need some info and advice. I have recently had my new home designed and one of the features, which i actuially asked for was to be able to open Front Door and see right through to backyard. The first time i saw this was actually in a house in Japan and at the backdoor was a large Buddha and I just thought it looked fantastic! Now everyone keeps telling me it is bad Feng Shui, could someone tell me what is the theory there?
I am no expert
, but this is what I remember about this. I think that the theory is the good energy flows in your front door then flows straight through the house and out the back door woth nothing to keep it in the house and slow it down.
From memory you can do a few things to combat this. Pictures and paintings on the wall of the hallway can slow it down and any type of screen or pot plant placed strategically can also slow it down.

The above is definitely not for certaian and just what I can remember. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help you out.
joles
I am no expert
, but this is what I remember about this. I think that the theory is the good energy flows in your front door then flows straight through the house and out the back door woth nothing to keep it in the house and slow it down.
From memory you can do a few things to combat this. Pictures and paintings on the wall of the hallway can slow it down and any type of screen or pot plant placed strategically can also slow it down.

The above is definitely not for certaian and just what I can remember. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help you out.

Your memory serves you fine.

Remember that chi is supposed to be like water, the flow smooth and gentle. You don't want harsh rapid flows of water around your house, so you wouldn't want fast rapid chi flow either*. So generally having doors in line from front to back while may look stylish, is not suitable for Feng Shui. Try to have some offset to slow the flow down and allow it to circulate.

It does depend on the length of the house also. Generally the longer houses are ok to have this configuration because the chi has time to circulate before moving out as you have described.

* A related misconception is the use of water flows to encourage chi. The water flows need to be smooth and gentle, not like thunderous rapids
, so fountains that shoot the water out at great heights are not as suitable as those with multiple layers allowing the water to meander down.
If I were to relate this to a real impression of a house where I could see the back door, it'd be that if you can see one end of the house from the other, the house would instantly look small as there wasn't much mystery. The "putting things to slow down the flow" would be like putting things in the way to distract you from looking straight through the house.
Ross, I believe the perceived problem here is the openable door at the back. If you want to see through into the garden, perhaps you could have a window directly in line with the front door? Then the back door can be off-set.
xquisite
Ross, I believe the perceived problem here is the openable door at the back. If you want to see through into the garden, perhaps you could have a window directly in line with the front door? Then the back door can be off-set.

This is exactly how our house is designed. You can see right through to the back garden but the back door is on the side (unseen) by the front door. I just think its nice to have a visual of something like a glimpse of a garden when you open the front door.

Mrs B
Interesting. we are looking to purchase a new house and it has the front door opening down a long hall with an slightly angled corner the only impedimant to straight out the back door. It didn't feel right so we both looked at how we could change this and the solution was to to move the door to one side in the huge door area to allow the Feng Shui or water to circulate more. I hope this will do the trick. Might cost a few dollars but would feel better, and that's more important we believe.

such house design = wealth comes in, wealth goes out.
money comes money goes

no offense.
I am no expert although What you can do is alter either the exit or the entrance.
Change the door position.
If main door facing a window, not exactly but see the light through, how it can be described? Still bad?

Who really cares about Feng Shui? If you want to have that look through from front to back just do it. In my humble opinion atleast.
goody59
Who really cares about Feng Shui? If you want to have that look through from front to back just do it. In my humble opinion atleast.

According to our feng shui Consultant (now he is actually known as a Master, so knows his stuff) the problem with straight through is that the chi is not retained for any time at all. Therefore it is not auspicious for the occupants, especially in terms of money.
I also think it has something to do with the flow of the energy that usually starts from the front door. So if you front door directly leads to the backyard, then the energy does not stay within the house itself. I think you could counter the situation by placing decorative in the passageway to capture the energy in phases. Another alternative would be to place an ornament or structure in your backyard so the energy will flow around your backyard instead of leaving the house completely.
Related
19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

You are here
Building ForumFeng Shui
Home
Pros
Forum