Join Login
Building ForumFeng Shui

Staircase facing front door

Page 2 of 2
I'm really not into Feng Shui, and certainly don't criticize those who are
AND do actually have my staircase facing my front door with a turn half way up
....BUT if I thought there was an evil spirit here, I would waste no time finding out how to get rid of it
I see it this way: I buy lotto tickets hoping to get something but rationally knowing I have buckleys chance of winning.

Given Feng Shui "solutions" only tend to add to the ambience of a home and are generally positive then why not give it a go?? A lot of the solutions seem to involve cristals (pretty
) and water features (relaxing
)... If it does keep anything negative at bay - BONUS
chinese fengshui and indian vaatsu, both exists long before the creation of religions. google it.
Hmmmm...

And people once believed the earth was flat too.

Pix

(edited for spelling mistake)
Pixelated
Hmmmm...

And people once believed the earth was flat too.

Pix

And up until August 2006 people once believed pluto was a planet. Your point?
I'll believe in Feng Shui when I see the evidence. Personally, I don't believe in superstitions and unverified claims any more than I believe that pigs can fly.

However, I take a live and let live approach. If others want to believe in something... I'm not about to proselytize. I will clarify that I was not mocking these beliefs but merely asking the question whether Feng Shui is taken seriously or viewed in a more lighthearted way such as occult-based practices like Tarot cards, water divination, astrology and other superstitions, because as far as I can tell, Feng Shui is certainly not evidence-based. Personal anecdotes simply don't stack up.

On another point, this forum is generally a great resource visited by many wonderful people but I have observed from time-to-time an impatience toward those who question the status quo or dare to posit an alternate opinion. I will always continue to ask questions and make no apology for this. If this makes people uncomfortable then cest la vie. For those people who find it necessary to have the last word, go ahead and attack me -- it just serves to prove my point.
Pixelated
Nobody seriously believes this do they????

Next we'll be conducting ceremonies to rid us of the ''evil spirits'' lol

Your original post certainly does not convey the fact that you were not 'mocking', in fact, the 'lol' comment at the end would normally be associated with derision of the topic. If I had replaced your 'ceremonies to rid us of the evil spirits' comment with 'wedding vows to bless the marriage', or 'funeral rites to respect the dead' would you still be laughing as much? And would others have been so accepting of your comment?

Pixelated
I have observed from time-to-time an impatience toward those who question the status quo or dare to posit an alternate opinion.

If anything, others would agree Feng Shui is the 'alternate' opinion on how things work, and your original comment was an impatience to those who would 'seriously believe' it and use it to better their lives.

Pixelated
I will always continue to ask questions and make no apology for this. If this makes people uncomfortable then cest la vie. For those people who find it necessary to have the last word, go ahead and attack me -- it just serves to prove my point.

Nice straw man, but you made a throw away comment about the earth being flat as if that was the be all and end all answer and didn't expect a response?

Pixelated
because as far as I can tell, Feng Shui is certainly not evidence-based.

Let me ask you this question: Under what oxidising potential would we smelt lead concentrates found in the Cerro de Pasco region of Peru?
I rest my case.
Pixelated
I rest my case.

Lol.
snipfer
Mrs B
I thought it was only in certain cultures that they didnt like the stairs to face the front door

Anyhoo, in saying that, we made sure our door did not face the front door direct for resale purpose
if ever we decided to sell. No point putting off 70% of future buyers. It had nothing to do with Feng shui, purely a business decision.

Mrs B

you've got a nice house - bright with lots of natural light. a big + point in fs.

in life analysis;
a person when in good luck tends to make all the wise decisions.

Hi snipfer
I just wanted to say this was a very nice thing you said to me

Your quote has a very special meaning to me as well.

Mrs B
funny how simple questions can go off track and get into peoples beliefs. no wonder the world has wars.
This is a valid question and has been answered well with various options plants, crystals and screens between the bottom of the stair and the front door amongst others.
Just do what feels right to you and trust your intution.
Feng shui is a mixture of art and science and is based on thousands of years of observing the built and natural environment. As a builder who trained as an engineer my brain could not get around the concept at first however after 25 years of my own observations there is definitely something to it and why not consider the ideas when you have an opportunity to build a new home.
remember put a little feng shui in your life not your life in feng shui
therenovationplan
funny how simple questions can go off track and get into peoples beliefs. no wonder the world has wars.
This is a valid question and has been answered well with various options plants, crystals and screens between the bottom of the stair and the front door amongst others.
Just do what feels right to you and trust your intution.
Feng shui is a mixture of art and science and is based on thousands of years of observing the built and natural environment. As a builder who trained as an engineer my brain could not get around the concept at first however after 25 years of my own observations there is definitely something to it and why not consider the ideas when you have an opportunity to build a new home.
remember put a little feng shui in your life not your life in feng shui

The biggest complaint about feng shui as a science is that it has not been validated by modern scientific methods or that it doesn't stand up to the scientific principles.

Coming from a heavy science background, with a PhD in engineering however I can appreciate sometimes you don't have enough information to understand something and more importantly, appreciate that you may not even actually have the right methods by which to evaluate the results correctly.

I know a lot of 'modern' feng shui is actually a load of codwallop designed to prey on fears and superstitions. Others are misinterpretations of much more 'scientific' findings that were past down, but that now we have lost the methods by which to actually implement properly. It is these half baked 'feng shui' approaches that give it a bad name, no different to claiming adding adding a shot of wheat grass into drinks makes you more healthy etc. beyond what benefits it normally would have given you anyway.

Get past all that, and maybe you will see the real feng shui in action - like it's namesake, it may take many years to wear down the mountain, but I have no trouble scientifically accepting it's effects.
joeygbh
I know a lot of 'modern' feng shui is actually a load of codwallop designed to prey on fears and superstitions. Others are misinterpretations of much more 'scientific' findings that were past down, but that now we have lost the methods by which to actually implement properly. It is these half baked 'feng shui' approaches that give it a bad name, no different to claiming adding adding a shot of wheat grass into drinks makes you more healthy etc. beyond what benefits it normally would have given you anyway.

there are just too many conmen around - who attended a 4 weeks or 8 weeks basic fengshui course with just 2 hours per session per week and claims he/she is a MASTER in fengshui.

these are the ones who spoils the reputation of fengshui.

google fengshui and you will find lots of such MASTERS whose remedies are all the same.
Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

You are here
Building ForumFeng Shui
Home
Pros
Forum